Crash at near Goulburn

Guest ozzie

78 year old pilot. Hell, if I can manage the dunny by myself at 78 I'll be happy, let alone an aeroplane. Thanks to the Great Magnet he made it out alive.

Jabba...one day you will arrive in that state of grace where 78 only seems old if you say it slowly.

You will have had to work to 75 to earn your pension and you will be looking forward to doing all the things you put off because you had to earn a living.

There are lots of pilots still flying at 78 and I'm sure you will be too. I know I intend to be.

Kaz

• Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Caution 1

That's the Marulan strip alright; it's been kept in good nick recently, well mowed etc.

No matter what may have caused it, I think it's a good example of the protection that a robustly-designed plane affords the occupants, that he was able to get out unscathed. A good result for what could have been very nasty.

• Agree 1

Interesting 'connection' to a 2013 accident in same area, but different aircraft, being drawn on pprune.org

Will be very interested in the details of this accident as the high wing Brumby has good performance and should climb away, even with 130L fuel on board. It would probably not been anywhere near MTOW - BEW 365 + 97 fuel + 100kg pilot = 562kg.

We'll have to wait for RAAus to report. happy days,

• Agree 3

Its a pity that he has conceded he may give a up flying (evening news tonight).

78 is still young enough to fly if you still have your marbles and I plan to keep mine well into my 90s.

I still plan to fly at that age (God willing).

• Like 2

I know this bloke quite well... I'm sure he wouldn't mind my saying it was pilot error, so you don't have to worry about the aircraft having issues.

He's also decided not to fly anymore.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Even a 20 year has been known to make a pilot error; no shame in that, we have all made errors. Doesn't mean we should give up flying.

Just as long as we learn from it and hopefully don't hurt anyone. We don't usually make the same mistake twice; that is the benefit of learning.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

It was the only tailwheel Brumby high-wing built to date - as far as I know. Regd 24-8630 and pics on the Brumby website. A real pity, as I was hoping to get to fly it and see whether we'd look at using one in the flying school.

In respect of 'retiring' from any job, position or pursuit - you generally 'know' when it's the right time. It's less about age, less about being able to 'pass' a BFR - but more about reaching a personal decision that you should quit .... 'while you're ahead' as the saying goes.

happy days,

• Agree 3

I drove past the strip a couple of hours ago, and the air frame is still highly visible from the road. It ended up, adjacent to the dam on the northern side of the strip about 660 metres from the east end of the strip where the take-off should have commenced and with roughly 200 metres of strip still available by my best guess from Google Earth. I cannot hazard a guess at what caused the crash but I suspect that thing would not have gotten more than maybe 10 metres off the ground.

I did not have the opportunity to take a photo, but - and allowing for the serious damage that the fire would have caused to the airframe post the crash - the extent of damage is such that even from a quick glance at 110 kph passing by - if I had been the pilot I think I might well also decide all my luck for future flying would be used up... It is no more than a bent skeleton, burnt to hell. The port wing is relatively intact, but everything else is charred pasta.

• Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...