Raptor Headsets

My passenger headset failed.

I replaced the mic (obtained from John) but now it picks up a lot of noise. So much it's unusable as I can't hear any radio calls...

I haven't put on the correct foam sock on it - because the ones I bought off eBay were too small... So potentially the correct sock would fix it - I will do this.

I tried three other Raptor headsets (Ben kindly let me try) with very different, but not satisfactory results.

All are noisey and two of them have too much gain. Not good enough to do a cross country!!

They all work fine on the ground, but when in flight full throttle - they are very noisey

One other headset (Tony's) works perfect - but that's no good for me!

I then re-tried my usual pilots headset and it's perfectly clear and no wind noise at all... So I did a 2 hour flight to enjoy it....

I need one more like it!

Anyone have any old raptor headsets with telephone plug they don't need?

Or anyone know how to fix the gain.

It's surprising that what appears to be the same product varies greatly in performance.

Any help will be appreciated

Regards

Mark

I modified my mates Raptor. Just made adaptor leads to the proper jacks so he could use a std headset and it works very well. I own all the Raptor stuff now as John sold it all to me and have been working slowly at trying to improve the noise handling and repeatability of that function. it has proved difficult. Some intercoms work fine others not. Some headsets do make a big difference in noise performance. The basic design of the Raptor is solid and uses pretty much what every other intercom uses. I am in the process of making a whole new intercom using some designs of others and the Raptor trying to come up with something that is consistant and repeatable in high noise environments like trikes. The big issue with trikes of course is you are throwing that big noise generator behind you straight down the throat of the microphone.

Flycom use a extremely small microphone element and this helps a lot in noise rejection but they are extremely difficult to source. I havent managed to find anything suitable yet maybe they get them especially made I am not sure but also you do need the mic to be right on your mouth and this is of course due to that small mic and its capture area.

Mark

• Informative 1
  • Winner 1

I modified my mates Raptor. Just made adaptor leads to the proper jacks so he could use a std headset and it works very well. I own all the Raptor stuff now as John sold it all to me and have been working slowly at trying to improve the noise handling and repeatability of that function. it has proved difficult. Some intercoms work fine others not. Some headsets do make a big difference in noise performance. The basic design of the Raptor is solid and uses pretty much what every other intercom uses. I am in the process of making a whole new intercom using some designs of others and the Raptor trying to come up with something that is consistant and repeatable in high noise environments like trikes. The big issue with trikes of course is you are throwing that big noise generator behind you straight down the throat of the microphone.Flycom use a extremely small microphone element and this helps a lot in noise rejection but they are extremely difficult to source. I havent managed to find anything suitable yet maybe they get them especially made I am not sure but also you do need the mic to be right on your mouth and this is of course due to that small mic and its capture area.

Mark

Thanks mark for your feedback.

I'm going to continue to mess around with the 4 raptor headsets I now have to see if I can solve it.... At least for one.

Im not keen on spending $2k on a new system just yet. I had earmarked flycom helmets/system as a future option.

Punkin Head at Yarrawonga was making leather microphone covers with just small holes in the mouth side. I'm not sure if the purpose was for noise reduction, but maybe worth a try?

I'll try duct tape to start with... And then contact then to see what they have.

I modified my mates Raptor. Just made adaptor leads to the proper jacks so he could use a std headset and it works very well. I own all the Raptor stuff now as John sold it all to me and have been working slowly at trying to improve the noise handling and repeatability of that function. it has proved difficult. Some intercoms work fine others not. Some headsets do make a big difference in noise performance. The basic design of the Raptor is solid and uses pretty much what every other intercom uses. I am in the process of making a whole new intercom using some designs of others and the Raptor trying to come up with something that is consistant and repeatable in high noise environments like trikes. The big issue with trikes of course is you are throwing that big noise generator behind you straight down the throat of the microphone.Flycom use a extremely small microphone element and this helps a lot in noise rejection but they are extremely difficult to source. I havent managed to find anything suitable yet maybe they get them especially made I am not sure but also you do need the mic to be right on your mouth and this is of course due to that small mic and its capture area.

Mark

I'd be interested in the adapter option so I can use a standard headset / plug. That would provide many more options.

My passenger headset failed.I replaced the mic (obtained from John) but now it picks up a lot of noise. So much it's unusable as I can't hear any radio calls...

I haven't put on the correct foam sock on it - because the ones I bought off eBay were too small... So potentially the correct sock would fix it - I will do this.

I tried three other Raptor headsets (Ben kindly let me try) with very different, but not satisfactory results.

All are noisey and two of them have too much gain. Not good enough to do a cross country!!

They all work fine on the ground, but when in flight full throttle - they are very noisey

One other headset (Tony's) works perfect - but that's no good for me!

I then re-tried my usual pilots headset and it's perfectly clear and no wind noise at all... So I did a 2 hour flight to enjoy it....

I need one more like it!

Anyone have any old raptor headsets with telephone plug they don't need?

Or anyone know how to fix the gain.

It's surprising that what appears to be the same product varies greatly in performance.

Any help will be appreciated

Regards

Mark

My experience with them was Wayne fisher solution worked best. He fashioned a sock of type that slipped over the standard mike sock. It was a sold looking foam bicycle handle grip cut to size and a piece glued on one end so it looked like a mini stubbie cooler, a hole about 1/8-1/4 inch was formed and slid over with hole centred on mike and small zip tie used to fix in place, Then a loose piece of foam ( often sourced from a Simpson cloths dryer filter) was stuffed in the hole with a chunk of it protruding the new styled wind sock.

My experience with them was Wayne fisher solution worked best. He fashioned a sock of type that slipped over the standard mike sock. It was a sold looking foam bicycle handle grip cut to size and a piece glued on one end so it looked like a mini stubbie cooler, a hole about 1/8-1/4 inch was formed and slid over with hole centred on mike and small zip tie used to fix in place, Then a loose piece of foam ( often sourced from a Simpson cloths dryer filter) was stuffed in the hole with a chunk of it protruding the new styled wind sock.

Thanks for the suggestion

I'll tinker on the weekend and let you know what works best

I had the oppertunity recently to work on Flycom headsets are they are nothing special as far as electronics are concerned. Infact almost exactly the same as the Raptor. The key for them seems to be the microphone.

I don't know about radio electronics, but would agree. The raptor system works perfectly when you get the mic solved. This is without having a great helmet - ie the visor Perspex only just barely covers the mic.

Performance wise, with my A22 icon I can listen to Sydney airport from Wollongong and hear every radio call crystal clear whilst doing 48knots in open trike.

Had a bit of trouble sorting out my Drifter intercom system, as I didn't want to spend a fortune.

After a bit of stuffing around, I have modified Lazer motorcycle helmets fitted out with home made earcups with high impedance speakers. I was using normal GA type electret mics, with leather covered foam muffs as mentioned above, worked acceptably, but not great. The PS engineering PM 1200 intercom was good, as it was selectable between hot mic or PTT. I finally relented and spent $160 on high noise electret mics, the difference, still using the foam/ leather muffs and PM1200 intercom, was amazing. The mics on both helmets are not covered by the visor, but now I can leaving the intercom on hot mic and converse normally in flight in the Drifter. The headset parts in my helmets ( speakers, boom, mics, & leads with plugs) were purchase from Pilot Communications on the North coast.

• Like 1
  • Caution 1

• 2 weeks later...
Alf Jessup, on here, used to have them ( when he used to be a real aviator 097_peep_wall.gif.dcfd1acb5887de1394272f1b8f0811df.gif). You could ask him about them.

Yes when I used to be a real pilot flying trikes I had leather pouches that fitted over the mike foam, worked a treat, BTW Bill some people can do more than walk and chew gum (2 Axis)

Alf

• Like 1
  • Informative 1