Rotax 912s tight

Ayecapt

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd be Chary about nylon too... I had a MGF, needed to watch the temp since the thermostat was on the inlet not the outlet and the head gasket locating pins were nylon. Fine for the little Metro town commuter car the engine was designed for originally, in the Lotus and the MGF there were lots of melted pins and walking gaskets due to overheating and then shock cooling when the thermostat opened.

I think folk write 'nylon', meaning 'some sort of plastic'. Nylon would be unsuitable in all sorts of ways, these are one of a number of synthetic bearing materials, probably Vespel. Nylon they definitely aint!

http://www.dupont.com/products-and-services/plastics-polymers-resins/parts-shapes/brands/vespel-polyimide/products/vespel-s.html

I think folk write 'nylon', meaning 'some sort of plastic'. Nylon would be unsuitable in all sorts of ways, these are one of a number of synthetic bearing materials, probably Vespel. Nylon they definitely aint!http://www.dupont.com/products-and-services/plastics-polymers-resins/parts-shapes/brands/vespel-polyimide/products/vespel-s.html

Gives some interesting figures for those who like some specifics:

http://www.dupont.com/content/dam/dupont/products-and-services/plastics-polymers-and-resins/parts-and-shapes/vespel/documents/E61500.pdf

Well, they may well have meant some other plastic, I was talking about nylon itself tho :)

Nylon has a melting point above 400F/200C depending on the type of nylon. which tells you how much the MGF and Lotus would overheat by.

I'm sure the Rotax bushings have better wear stats than Nylon does, through some nylon composites are pretty interesting .

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Engine has been re assembled , re installed , ground tested for around 30 minutes , carbs balanced etc.

Heading out to the airfield this morning with the intention of further ground runs at run up revs. Then recheck all is well before take off.

Out of all this on the positive side we have a engine that is as close to reconditioned as you can get when its got 1300 hrs on it. Some annoying oil leaks have been attended to , mainly the starter motor oil seal , 5 year rubber replacement is complete. And best of all there is no more brass in there ! Our L2 has done a great job on the overhaul . And i have learnt heaps about Rotax 912 engines in the process.

I will post a photo of the 8 offending bushes after i string them together to add to the flying clubs Christmas decorations . Will be a reminder each year as they are hung up.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1