Class D - Metro vs Regional

1800ft (assuming a 1500ftLL), keep in mind your altitude is unverified, they may ask you to verify your altitude, if your reported altitude is more (or less) then 200ft from what your transponder is showing you may be asked to turn off Mode C.

If asked your altitude and you say 1600ft, that's a VCA.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1800ft (assuming a 1500ftLL), keep in mind your altitude is unverified, they may ask you to verify your altitude, if your reported altitude is more (or less) then 200ft from what your transponder is showing you may be asked to turn off Mode C.If asked your altitude and you say 1600ft, that's a VCA.

Good to know. I am pretty careful these days . Its one of those things that was hammered into me whilst going from RPL to PPL. These days I can usually hold that 1500ft within parallax error of the altimeter!

During my PPL phase of training, I really struggled to hold altitude, I think its 200ft to pass the PPL. Now I can hold 100ft easy.

Correct. The fact that the lowest level on the charts is the reason you can rejoin over Redcliffe at 1500ft without a clearance, since the charted LL is A015. That is also why when you fly night VFR at Redcliffe the controller asks for a report leaving A015, as you are then OCTA and they no longer have to seperate. Of course, they can also wait for your mode Charlie return to indicate A011, but a report is quicker