The Morning Glory

rdarby

Anyone ever flown the morning glory cloud up in Burketown in a glider, or any airplane before? There is a chapter on it in The Cloudspotters Manual and it looks like it could be a fun trip up there at least.

Cheers

Ryan

• Agree 1

Anyone ever flown the morning glory cloud up in Burketown in a glider, or any airplane before? There is a chapter on it in The Cloudspotters Manual and it looks like it could be a fun trip up there at least.

A couple of the Caboolture Microlights went in 2014. They wrote up their story for the club magazine here http://caboolturemicrolights.info/docs/HangarTalk_2015_Q1.pdf

Cheers

John

About a month ago there was a thead in another international forum about what aviation activity was on peoples' bucket lists. I immediately responded 'fly the Morning Glory'. Most of the other forum members (in the states) didn't know what I was writing about. I posted some links to pictures and it aroused some stateside/Canadian interest.

I lived down south in that Gulf country for a couple of years and saw several Morning Glories. It is really spectatcular. The wave fronts can extend hundreds of kilometres. I vowed to go back one day and examine from the air. So that's the big trip. Down to the Gulf, up Cape York and hopping through the Torres Strait, taking in the Morning Glory along the way if we can.

Alan

Did it a couple years running, worth the trip. Never got to surf one but experienced a southerly morning glory at 4.30 in the morning while checking the plane over. Head to swears island and go fishing for the rest of the trip. Don't expect to see one. Some guys sit it out for a month and still don't get on one

• Agree 1