Small GA Airfield in Brisbane

Hi Gents

We are looking at moving across to Australia, Brisbane later this year and I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on a small GA airfield in Brisbane where I could base a J3 Cub that I want to bring with.

Preferably an airfield that is GA dedicated.

Also looking for a maintenance organization in the area that could maintain the aeroplane.

Thank you so much for the help guy, it is much appreciated

Ryan

I would strongly recommend Redcliffe, YRED. Should meet your requirements quite nicely. Alternatively you could try Caboolture, YCAB, but it is a bit further to travel from Brisbane.

Welcome to the forum Ryan, and soon to sunny Queensland!

Do you know which side of Brisbane you're headed for? If you're not decided on that yet, then the airfield you select ought to affect your choice of where you also choose for your home because whichever way you go, crossing the river too frequently can be a PITA and the toll costs on the Gateway bridge can add up. They're matters you also want to take into consideration as far as the location of your work is concerned.

Also, when you say 'Brisbane', how general is that? Do you mean within Brisbane City itself or within 100km or so of it? Or SE Qld in general?

The point being that as you go further out of Brisbane the airfield and maintenance options increase, and many of us would say the flying gets better too.

Enough of that - let's see a picture of your Cub please!

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

On the south side of Brisbane is Heck Field, beside the JCW VOR, and to the west you have Archerfield (if you must...) Watts Bridge and Gatton Airpark, both about an hour away. To the Southwest, about an hour from the CBD as well, you have Boonah which was quite a nice little airfield when I flew out of there a few years ago.

• Agree 1

Hi Guys

Thank you so much for the fantastic response!!

At this stage, we are still busy looking at our housing options, but mainly need to find an airfield that has someone who can take her out the crate and assemble her initially. Also help with the registration etc:smile:

Looking very forward to some good flying! I will look at all the recommended airfields.

Thanks again so much!

Very nice Ryan!

Reminds me of a Super Cub I spent many happy times in, mustering cattle on a Kimberley cattle station.

You won't have any problems finding someone to unpack and assemble it. The paperwork should be straight-forward too, if a little tedious no doubt.

I wouldn't let the locality of an airfield or LAME (licenced aircraft maintenance engineer) affect your choice of where to live or where to hangar too much, as they can be found wherever you go, and they can travel if necessary ...

Just make sure you have all the registration and maintenance paperwork for your plane, dating back as far as possible, and the sooner you start the registration process over here the better. I'd start to make contact now to get the wheels in motion. I'm sure there'll be quite a number of people on this forum who have imported and registered planes here but you won't get them with the title of this thread, so I would suggest starting another thread called "Information needed please - for importing and registering a Cub in Australia".