Turn & bank indicators vs turn co-ordinators?

I'm about to start work redesigning the panel on our plane. The existing Turn & Bank instrument has expired and is beyond economical repair. This raised some questions in my mindabout suitable replacement instruments, so I thought I would search the collected wisdom of the group.

So my questions are:

1. Should I fit a T&B or a turn coordinator? Your opinions as to which you would choose and why, would be appreciated.

2. Vacuum or electronic powered? Again, which and why would you choose?

The panel will have an MGL Enigma EMS which can also be configured to act as an EFIS but we want "steam gauges" as our primary flight instruments with the MGL in EFIS MODE acting as backup.

I would welcome your thoughts and opinions your preferred type of gauge as well as any feedback on the MGL Enigma.

I don't think those turn co-ordinators belong in any cockpit.

Reason. The turn information is always wrong, unless the ball is exactly centred.

Indeed, the aircraft can be turning one way, while the little aeroplane indicates a turn the other way.

Worse, a pilot not trained in the realities of the instrument, might think of it as a substitute for an artificial horizon, in terms of angle of bank information. After all, the presentation is of a little aeroplane, just like an A/H.

Give me a bat and ball any day. Better for aerobatics, too. The two instruments are materially different inside. It is not just a matter of one presentation vs another.

• Agree 2

A turn indicator RATE calibrated is the best presentation. Necessary in many situations including stall/spin recognition. It's THE basic panel main instrument for retaining control IF.

Being niggly .... don't call it a turn and BANK.. Slip or skid is what's indicated by the ball. YOU know that but I'm just mentioning it to reinforce it for others. Nev

• Agree 1

I had an MGL Enigma in my previous aircraft. I found it to be an excellent piece of equipment, easy to learn to operate, good screen vision, and good value for money. I had backup steam gauges, ASI, ALT, Voltmeter, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 80 kts. Yes I plan to have a round dial turn rate indicator (thanks, Nev) as the primary turn ref instrument with the MGL Extreme (not an enigma as I previously labelled it) as a secondary source of info. The supplementary question is whether to go with a vacuum or electrically driven TRI. Financially, an electric gauge makes more sense but having a vacuum gauge and an electronic backup in the Enigma gives me better redundancy should the either Vac or electric system fail . The enigma's principal function will be to provide me with engine monitoring information but, as the upgrade option to provide secondary flight information is pretty inexpensive, I'll be including that in the package.

The TRI that was in our plane when it tripped and fell is not well. It spins up when vacuum is applied but makes unhappy noises and doesn't always centre itself. Having it repaired might be an option but I'm worried about having to sell my second Son to pay the bill . (Is there such a thing as a good inexpensive instrument repair shop??)

Is there such a thing as a good inexpensive instrument repair shop??)

In a word, "No".

Mine (TSO) packed up a while ago and it was cheaper to buy a replacement than get it fixed.

Kaz