After an initial burst of activity and mega publicity about three years ago, the prototype FlyNano performed one test flight that appeared to be none too auspicious with many of us suspecting that it ended in a crash because their published video only showed the take-off and climb to about 15ft and then faded out.

Despite numerous requests to the factory for more information (I know there were numerous, because I made lots of them myself ...) they declined to issue anything more except to say further testing was on hold due to the lakes being frozen in Finland.

As the years wore on it was assumed by most interested parties that the project had died despite the obvious large amounts that had been spent on initial development and the impressive publicity machine.

Gforce on this forum said he was the Australasian distributor and also mentioned that they were still going ahead with the project though he couldn't offer any details.

Out of the blue after nearly three years, and as a 'signed-up member' of their mailing list, I received a communication yesterday with a link to their new video which reveals much more information about their progress than previously, including film of extended flights with gentle turns and a landing.

They've obviously been beavering away in secret because they have an all-new airframe that looks very smart and which dis-assembles into three major components for transport, and an all-electric powerplant.

It's well worth a look -

[MEDIA=vimeo]141518328[/MEDIA]

• Like 3
  • Informative 2

I find it hard to believe this thing will takeoff (pun intended). It appears to be aimed at a recreational market for the more adventurous persons that have done the jet skis, fast boats etc. But the price is sure to be much higher than any jet ski as it has a carbon fibre hull, big trailer will add to cost plus training too. It is not just a ground effect craft, video shows it flying higher than that, but it appears to be aimed at flying low over water. Training would have to be very comprehensive, the thing is not a gentle floater, in inexperienced hands it would be a killer flying down low.

Just imagine this thing flying around the Gold Coast broadwater or on any popular calm water lake or waterway. Boat wakes, Yacht masts, Power lines, Turbulence off land etc. But then of course, look at the rules and regulations in Australia, it will never get off the ground or will be highly restricted. I don't believe it's a proper aeroplane and true pilots will look elseware for the money.

When it says weight 70kg is that the aircraft or the pilot limit? The video is just about the most annoying one I have ever watched for someone who wants to find out about the product. It must be aimed at the video games generation who have a 1.5 second attention span.