Flying GA into Gold Coast

I am doing a nav on Saturday that includes a full stop at Coolangatta. I will study the ERSA entry but does anyone have any tips?

I am approaching from Archerfield.

I see Coolangatta does not have an entry on the CASA OnTrack, maybe as it is class C. They help for other places!

Any advice welcome!

Thanks

Ryan

You'll be fine. What you miss your instructor will help out with, and no doubt you will get a second nav into Class Charlie. There is lots of traffic around Southport, so make sure you tune into the relevant CTAF's and keep a good eye open for traffic.

Just remember, get your code on the Springbrook Frequency (119.5 IIRC, but please check that) not 125.7. I normally get my code around jacobs well area. ATC will tell you to contact tower at Q1.

Given the amount of RPT flying into the Gold Coast now, be ready to do some orbit's at Q1. Pack your camera, and if you get stuck doing a couple of orbits, get your instructor to fly one and take some photo's! Also worth packing your camera to get some pics on the ground of you tangling with the big boys on the field!

Gold Coast is a great place to fly into.

Rdarby

What you need to do is all in the ERSA both YBAF and YBCG

If it was me and the weather allowed I would plan AF/Q1/CG 5500 (get me out of all the other low traffic) will put you in controlled airspace, contact BNE centre (125.7) prior to taxi and request the clearance and code (if you get that happy days as they will tell you the rest), if they won't give you a clearance request flight following they should give you that, you will then have a code (may tell you to remain OCTA) in which case you would have to request the clearance at some time prior to CG CTA on BN Ctr 119.5. Get the ATIS for CG by phone 5599 5910 to give you a heads up as to what to expect when you get there.

If you still are not sure ring the tower at CG and ask them for some additional info.

Aldo

Thanks very much for the help Aldo and Pearo.

I have one more question though please.

I'm sure I will get briefed before we go, but am trying to read up on this now.

I am used to class D (Sunshine Coast) where I approach a VFR reporting point and call the tower, after setting my transponder to 3000. I say "Sunshine Coast tower, Cessna 172 ABC, approaching the point, 1500, received Alpha, inbound, request airways clearance".

After that I do what I am told and repeat back instructions.

However I understand the SSR code to be the transponder code I will need so that in class C the ATC can provide positive separation (whereas in class D that doesn't happen).

How do I request the code, or do I do the request above and then will get told the code? I have read what I can understand in the VFRG which has the phrases, but nothing specific that I can find?

Ryan

You need to request a code from Brisbane Centre prior to the reporting point at the Gold Coast. On the Sprinbrook sector frequency (this will be in ERSA and your VTC, from memory 119.5) all you do is call up Brisbane Centre and say "Brisbane Center, Alpha Bravo Charlie Cessna 172 at Jacobs Well, 1500 to Gold Coast". I always tack on request code, but that part is not necessary because they have your flight plan and know your intentions. Brisbane centre will reply with "Squawk 1234 remain outside controlled airspace" and you will read back exactly that, then enter the code into your transponder.

Once you have set your code and once Brisbane Centre has identified you on the radar, they will call you "Alpha Bravo Charlie, Identified 2 mile south east of Jacobs Well report altitude" and you will respond "1500 Alpha Bravo Charlie". Then Brisbane Centre will respond with the instructions about contacting Gold Coast Tower at Q1. At Q1, its the same process as Class D.

What Aldo says is what I would do now, but for training purposes its best to keep it simple. I also thing the Class G at Southport is valuable experience as a student, especially with an instructor next to you. Also, getting clearance into Brisbane airspace is rare for GA. i have been refused more times that I have been cleared!

NOTE THIS. In Class D and C, the tower provides separation. Class C, separation is provided with SSR, Class D, separation is procedural (ie they dont have you on a radar screen). As a VFR aircraft, separation is ultimately your responsibility because you can fly anywhere you want, ATC only provide you with traffic information to assist in separation. Positive separation is only provided to IFR aircraft, because they fly set routes in the sky.

Ryan

Plan 5500 that way ATC know early (when your plan is submitted) that you want a clearance (apart from the fact that you have planned CG), request your clearance before you taxi at AF they may not give it to you due traffic inbound to Brisbane, if not request flight following at that time if you get flight following they (ATC) will give you a code which you will carry all the way, this will not be a clearance to enter controlled airspace (you will have to remain at 3500, I think that is the control step for that route) but you will get traffic separation (from IFR) and get told when to change frequencies you may also get told to contact centre on 119.5 for clearance but if not as soon as you get handed over to 119.5 request your clearance "Brisbane Centre, ABC, 25 miles north of Gold Coast maintaining 3500 request clearance as per flight planned track amended 3500 (your plan says 5500), you will get instructions from there, read back any changes to you flight plan such as altitudes, track changes and holding if required. CTA/CTR is easy they tell you what to do, you just have to do it and they keep you separated from all traffic.

Hope the flight goes well.

Allan

Going to disagree with you Aldo, flying into GC at 1500 is more predictable and a lot less workload a student venturing into Class C for the first time. I think the instructor will have something to say about that too.

I did a similar trip as student (went YBAF, JCW VOR when it was working, Q1) on my first nav into YBCG and I was overwhelmed. Going in at 5500 would have been way to much.

Yeah no worries mate, don't disagree with some of what you say, just not the way I would do it, but a long time since I learned to fly. Our navs went into Brisbane every time and we were full reporting every flight (same as IFR these days) so we were very familiar with the procedures different times.

I must have been typing when you posted your last message.

Aldo

Thanks for all your help. I flew it today and I think it went well.

We went from YBAF to Jacobs Well and got a code, and were told to stay outside of class G but keep going South and contact YBCG tower. They didn't say where so we went to Q1 and requested and were asked if we were familiar with Robina. I said no so was told to orbit then was told to visual approach.

Taxying was the hardest part as I was tiring and slow to read back, which started to irk the controller but he calmed down after asking if I was dual.

All up actually simple, controlled airspace is controlled by professionals and not hard for us pilots.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your help. I flew it today and I think it went well.We went from YBAF to Jacobs Well and got a code, and were told to stay outside of class G but keep going South and contact YBCG tower. They didn't say where so we went to Q1 and requested and were asked if we were familiar with Robina. I said no so was told to orbit then was told to visual approach.

Taxying was the hardest part as I was tiring and slow to read back, which started to irk the controller but he calmed down after asking if I was dual.

All up actually simple, controlled airspace is controlled by professionals and not hard for us pilots.

Yup, other than getting a code its not a lot different to Archerfield. Your next nav into Class C will probably have you departing into Class C also, so a bit more work with airways clearances and depature reports etc.

BTW, pretty sure the AIP ENR says you should report DUAL or SOLO when training. Also, try make yourself familiar with the airport. I use the DAP charts when available, and if I am not familiar with the airport I tend to write down the probable taxi instruction before hand, then as the controller is reading I will just cross off the parts they dont say. That super long taxi call you get when departing south at Archerfield taught me that trick!

Yeah no worries mate, don't disagree with some of what you say, just not the way I would do it, but a long time since I learned to fly. Our navs went into Brisbane every time and we were full reporting every flight (same as IFR these days) so we were very familiar with the procedures different times.I must have been typing when you posted your last message.

Aldo

I get what you are saying, my preference these days is to avoid Class G in that area also. But first time into YBCG I think Class G into Class C CTR is the easiest way. I also think the practice in managing radios in Jacobs Well to Southport area whilst you have an instructor in the right seat is to valuable to avoid.