GT prop with metal leading edge

Guys,

I have had to have my Sensenich wooden prop refinished three times in the past two years, due to chips being thrown up into it or the latest case flying through a shower (see photos attached). It seems that these painted leading edge props are not designed for anything but light usage. Hence I am looking to change to a GT with metal leading edge, specifically the GT2-151VZR (shown in the photo attached).

Does anyone have any experience running this prop on a Jabiru J160, or any other Jabiru powered aircraft? I am likely to go for one which is finer than the standard, and gives a static of 2800-2850. Reason being the J160 has short wings and doesn’t get off the ground quickly if you are at MAUW.

Stuart

UK

J160

782064180_Flyingthroughashower1.jpg.e4f86a65c5572e10eddd2e982ed16e53.jpg

1413659202_Flyingthroughashower2.jpg.60cec3f3c0d766303eb29855775b3bb5.jpg

749525560_GTwithmetalleadingedge.JPG.9aaa048c07898fe0dce9bc639339dfba.JPG

Guys,I have had to have my Sensenich wooden prop refinished three times in the past two years, due to chips being thrown up into it or the latest case flying through a shower (see photos attached). It seems that these painted leading edge props are not designed for anything but light usage. Hence I am looking to change to a GT with metal leading edge, specifically the GT2-151VZR (shown in the photo attached).

Does anyone have any experience running this prop on a Jabiru J160, or any other Jabiru powered aircraft? I am likely to go for one which is finer than the standard, and gives a static of 2800-2850. Reason being the J160 has short wings and doesn’t get off the ground quickly if you are at MAUW.

Stuart

UK

J160

Looks to me like you need to reduce rpm in rain so the tips are going no faster than the undamaged section.

better option is a CS prop, I have a GT CS prop on a Lightwing, seems to be a good prop, costs way less than MT.

Andrew

• Agree 1

Here's a trick for flying in rain in Jabirus with wooden props if you simply can't get away from it.

Reduce your airspeed below Vfe, then lower half-flap.

Now set engine RPM to keep you level at 70KIAS in the J160, 65KIAS in the 170 or 230. In the J160 this is about 2400RPM with half-flap and 2 people onboard. Maintain level flight with elevator.

This will take 500RPM (approx) off your prop and greatly reduce the impact of raindrops on the leading-edge, whilst maintaining your chosen altitude.

Once clear of the rain, retract flaps and increase power to normal cruise-settings.

• Informative 2

Which Sensenich prop do you have. The ones on the RV-12 have metal leading edges and according to their website these ones for the Jabiru engines do too. Perhaps you could see if they can add them on, or keep the hub and get new blades.

Sensenich Propellers - Products - Propellers - Aircraft - 2 Blade Jabiru 3300 Ground Adjustable Propeller

Got a friend with the same prop on a Jab 4 cyl. Same problem but never left it to the extent of yours.

He doesn't fly in the rain.

The paint chips very very easily......

I'm wondering if there was a bad batch....