SIA 777 on fire

. My understanding is that this engine was not shutdown.

Any comment on why that may have been guys? What considerations are you guys going through before a decision to/not to shutdown is made specifically with oil temp/pressure abnormalities?

I would have thought considering OEI performance is good, a shutdown even precautionary would be a high chance with oil issues before failure occurs?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any comment on why that may have been guys? What considerations are you guys going through before a decision to/not to shutdown is made specifically with oil temp/pressure abnormalities?I would have thought considering OEI performance is good, a shutdown even precautionary would be a high chance with oil issues before failure occurs?

Possibly they thought indications they had in the cockpit were not severe enough to warrant a shutdown for whatever reason. There are unconfirmed reports that the indications they had may not have truly indicated the severity of the problem. If that was the case, the decision to keep it running might be justified.

The fire on the ground was obviously pretty severe though. I think they were a bit lucky to get away with it. Even if the fuel was pouring out of the right engine, the entire left side of the aircraft was available for evacuation and if you have a fuel fed fire, how long do you have before things get really bad and you start getting char-grilled? Nobody knows, so betting on it seems strange to me. Then again, another factor in deciding to evacuate is that you have to trust the training and ability of your flight attendants not to open their exit when all they can see is flames in the window, and not to send passengers down a slide into burning fuel. I would trust ours not to do that, but I can't speak for others.

SIA will paint it as a complete success, but it's going to lead to interesting discussions in training sessions at other airlines!

• Agree 2

If the pilots decide to evacuate on the ground it is initiated by checklist. The checklist on both Boeing and Airbus always calls for engine shutdown prior to activating the evacuation alarm or making an evacuation PA. There should be no engines running when passengers start down the slides if the crew have followed ground evacuation procedures correctly.

It has been reported only a day ago that the investigators have narrowed in on the fuel/oil heat exchanger as the prime suspect.

300 ER on route to Milan. The model has fuel dumping capability. This plane was built in 2006. GE engined (BIG one). It seems this may take a while to decide the cause according to some experts. I've always regarded the B777 as one of the best planes in the sky. It's very popular.. Nev