Best landing ever.

Yep unforgettable.. I was in a classroom and a teacher had brought a full size 21 inch black and white tv in from home. Thats how important it was!! To bring your expensive and fragile valve based tv set to school........

No one considered that perhaps a holiday should have be declared .... Us baby boomers have lived through so much history.

• Like 1

50 seconds from 5000ft until touchdown that is an amazingly fast decent rate!

I never really thought about it before but that did surprise me. They do glide like a brick don't they.

• Agree 1

Fairly fast brick. Angle counts, overall. Looking hard at the vid I guess they overshoot and dive it off, like most forced landings, when they are sure of making it, and bleed the speed back. (and ROD). Touchdown speed is lower than a 5 degrees flap B727. (single engine), at around 170 knots and it weighs about the same. Amazing stuff. All planes fly by the same physics. It's a forced landing from a long way out, monitored carefully but there's no go around. Nev

• Like 1

It's a forced landing from a long way out, monitored carefully but there's no go around. Nev

Yes the final approach is the final approach! Obviously a lot of good support from the right seat guy is critical too - not much different in principle to the airlines.

These days the non flying person IS involved. Wasn't always the case. Cockpit resource management. It's a good thing but sometimes too much chatter can happen. Ie Some monitored approaches.

People used to say, "When I want your help, I'll ask for it". One notable in a Viscount was like that and half way to Tasmania , said "this plane isn't flying very fast", to which the PNF said "It will IF you retract all the flap". It wasn't ME...

Another said "don't do anything unless I tell you to " so PNF later says "can I answer that radio call.? Can I tell them we are at our next reporting point"? Can I revise our ETA? and a few other mundane things the situation changed. Known as a "one man band" back then.

Today the co-pilot thinks you are a forgetful incompetent who would crash if he /she wasn't there to save the day, doubly annoying because by hanging around at the ripe old age of 55 plus, you are slowing the promotion rate for them. Nev

• Agree 1