Francisco Icaza, from Mexico City

Fran Icaza

Hello, I'm Francisco. I fly a Maxair Drifter MU 582 in an airstrip ninety miles of from México City. I restored this plane in 2001 and I recently changed the engine for a new Rotax 582 blue head. I also fly a Kitfox and a Vans RV-12

image.jpeg.42f512db616111b09da0686c8511008a.jpeg

• Like 4

Hello Francisco 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif..... I`m Francisco, without the "cis," which leaves Franco! 020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif....Over the years, I`ve flown numerous Ultralights.

I don`t see a windscreen on the nose pod,if that`s correct, do you fly it without?

Edit. I`ve just noticed what I think is a flap, is that correct?

Hello Francisco 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif..... I`m Francisco, without the "cis," which leaves Franco! 020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif....Over the years, I`ve flown numerous Ultralights.I don`t see a windscreen on the nose pod,if that`s correct, do you fly it without?

Edit. I`ve just noticed what I think is a flap, is that correct?

Hey Franco, have a close look at the wing (count the ribs), a friend of mine has a WB Drifter that goes faster than everyone else's, the only difference we can find is that he has 12 ribs (battens) each side rather than the standard 9. The shape of the wing seems much better than the standard.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hey Franco, have a close look at the wing (count the ribs), a friend of mine has a WB Drifter that goes faster than everyone else's, the only difference we can find is that he has 12 ribs (battens) each side rather than the standard 9. The shape of the wing seems much better than the standard.

I see 11 ribs on Francisco`s! Mine has 8.

If we measure performance by speed (I don`t), then maybe! the amount of ribs is a factor! I measure performance by the ability of the AC to do what I want it to do! there are a number of variables that determine speed.

Flaps on a Drifter? Not sure about that, as I`ve never flown one with them, but I certainly wouldn`t bother adding them.

Drifter.jpg.d94499ebfa1705ee62203767f9f28b95.jpg

PS, M61A1, Hope to meet you at Ingham aerodrome, next Saturday...I won`t be flying down, though.

Franco (Frank)

• Like 2

70905609_August2014flyin-0181.jpg.4b56cfc7591c9acfaaf0f80e9506f9c5.jpg Don't forget to count the very inboard ones on the top only. Oops looking at yours, you don't have the extra batten between the two outboard ribs.

Sorry, wont be at Ingham.

The SB is cleaner (and heavier) . More ribs and tighter skins will help efficiency. If you overspeed dive a drifter it descends pretty fast, without getting to an unmanageable/unsafe airspeed so why have flaps? Nev

Mine has the extra battens, I don't think it goes any quicker...... That's what the Rans is for.

Kiwi

blink.gif.7ee21b69ed31ab2b1903acc52ec4cc3f.gif

1925854983_DSCI0326(Medium).JPG.08eae24fa78bf4860ba03f79e0324019.JPG

• Like 1

What prop and pitch you running Kiwi?

I have the standard Brolga Prop and sorry but I can't remember which pitch blocks are in it, but it is the standard setup. All my flying is at about 50 to 53 knots at around 5200rpm one up, or up to 5600 at max weight.

Another (more) experienced Drifter pilot suggested that with the extra battens, the wing has a "thicker" wing profile whereas the standard wing is "thinner". (Between the top battens, the top surface is lower on the standard setup. The more battens reduces the "low" points.)

Also when you look at Franks wing, the Battens act like "fences" helping the airflow.

Kiwi

• Like 1

They all blow your head off if you leave the helmet Visor UP on takeoff. How do I know that?. Nev

Talking about helmet visors! I know a Drifter pilot who wears a helmet with a visor! He told me he was taking-off one day and just as he got off the ground, a large Dragon fly, went up under his visor and was fluttering all over his face, obstructing his vision.

I don`t wear a helmet.

Cut your hair short then or it will get in the prop. If the visor is not completely down it can flip up suddenly in the breeze. Usually the insects impact on the outside of the visor, and they don't have the guts to do it twice. Nev

Someone took this pic at Clifton, but it shows my helmets. The visors don't unclip, they are screwed on. I don't get bugs in my face either, and my drifter was covered in dead grasshoppers from last summer.

IMG_3049.JPG.4878a13b5a7413fa2e2d60de9db240f4.JPG

I don't get bugs in my face either, and my drifter was covered in dead grasshoppers from last summer.

Good enough reason to wear a helmet with a visor! Believe it or not! 30 years of Drifter flying ( and other open aircraft ) without a helmet with a visor and I`ve never been hit in the face with a bug! Could it happen, the very next flight? Absolutely! That`s a chance I`m prepared to take...In my part of the country there are very few bugs, during daylight hours.

Anyone flying a Drifter or any other open cockpit aircraft, needs to keep in mind, if you come to a sudden stop, as in a crash, the mass of the helmet wants to keep traveling and it could break your neck.

I rode motor bikes, on the highway, for many years, without a helmet, before they became compulsory! I still ride now and then and I still hate wearing a helmet with a visor.

• Agree 1

Good enough reason to wear a helmet with a visor! Believe it or not! 30 years of Drifter flying ( and other open aircraft ) without a helmet with a visor and I`ve never been hit in the face with a bug! Could it happen, the very next flight? Absolutely! That`s a chance I`m prepared to take...In my part of the country there are very few bugs, during daylight hours.Anyone flying a Drifter or any other open cockpit aircraft, needs to keep in mind, if you come to a sudden stop, as in a crash, the mass of the helmet wants to keep traveling and it could break your neck.

I rode motor bikes, on the highway, for many years, without a helmet, before they became compulsory! I still ride now and then and I still hate wearing a helmet with a visor.

Goes both ways Farri, I've read so many accident reports where the pilot would have survived if they had cranial protection. Whether the had fatal head injuries (think large 4130 tube just behind your head), or just weren't conscious to exit the cockpit in a timely manner. Without the helmet, I have been hit in the forehead by a large beetle, glad it wasn't my eye, felt like stone. Also had a near birdstrike to the face.

Goes both ways Farri, I've read so many accident reports where the pilot would have survived if they had cranial protection.

Yeh! It does go both ways. I read of an accident where the pilot of an open cockpit aircraft, hit a power line and the strap of the helmet cut his throat severely and that almost cost him his life.