Plane Memberships

Unsure of the right terminology... anyway have seen a number of overseas guys talk about a monthly fee + paid usage. It may be in the region of $100-150/month shared between 10 or so people, which covers hangar, insurance, admin. Then $40-50/hr for hire to cover maintenance. It's great for those who want a basic plane for semi-regular hire without being a share and being locked in (of course you can sell that share, whereas this is a monthly fee down the drain type thing, but with a bit of usage saves a lot compared to renting).

This doesn't seem common in Australia? Aviation has a poor web presence so hard to find info, at best I've seen a few paid shares - pay X to own 1/4 of the plane, rather than a smaller fee with no ownership.

Yes if the group is active schedules can be tighter etc, however very cheap (compared with buying your own plane at least!) way to do a number of hours.

Are there share or club setups similar to what I described in Australia?

Does anyone know if there's one in Hervey Bay/Maryborough region?

• Informative 1

Shared ownership is not uncommon here. You need the right group to get on well and understand the priority for particular times like holidays or weekend use, and have to be generally fair and compatible and have a dispute resolution process, and "sale of interest" clause.. Pilot experience may affect Insurance costs and set aside money for maintenance and depreciation. Hangar facilities are important to sort out too. Nev

Hi Stickshaker,

If you are free Sat 6 Aug 2016 call in to the Childers airstrip for the fly-in breakfast 8:30 am onwards and Isis Flying Club meeting after. You should be able to chat with a lot of local pilots and plane owners. Then the next day (Sunday 7th) try the Gympie fly-in & open day. There is some experience with plane syndicates at both places.

Sue

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Wish I was! Saw the events in the calendar, I'm back in town in September. Childers, Gympie and Bundy seem to have very active flying communities.

Ok so more syndicates with large shares not really clubs as such.

That document has a lot of info. Would be good to join an existing setup that is working before DIY'ing, too inexperienced.

The other option is to rent a plane - usually a flying school aircraft - then all the hassle of hangars, maintenance, etc are someone else's problem. Depending on the type you want, there are a few to choose from in the Bundaberg, Childers, Maryborough, Gympie area.

Childers Qld - Isis Flying Club meets every first Saturday of the month with a BBQ and there is someone around on weekends, and a few on week days too. Wed morning is an informal morning tea for folk who fly in from Bundy, Pacific Haven and private strips. Welcome to drop in anytime.

• Like 1

Definitely, I'll rent until it justifies taking the next step. A lot of people buy a boat, use it for a while then the novelty wears off and it collects dust :) Before doing any commitment will see how the honeymoon phase goes, I was reading about overseas guys with these great club style things but they don't seem common here - renting, or part share only. Renting does have it's benefits. At ~$140/hr though, even 3 hrs a month will be looking at $5k a year. Wouldn't be too much more for an entry level plane that could be doing a lot more hours, be taken on a bit of a "road trip".

Sounds good, don't have a plane to fly in with but it's an easy drive.

The flying club, often hire out aircraft, as long as not in use, beats have no return on assets laying idle, usually have to be club member and proven performer.

spacesailor

To share or not to share, that is the question. If you are going to do 50 hrs a year or more then a syndicate share can be better value. However in practice 50 hrs can be a bit of a challenge esp if you still work. July this year around here was dry but very very windy so flying hours are down on our syndicate aircraft.

We have 5 members and the aircraft is doing 100 to 120 hours per year on the Syndicates are good as far as sharing repair and improvement costs. But as all previouse posts say . You must all get on . Good luck remember this sport is never cheap , and if you try to cut costs it will likely come back and bite you on the bum.

This sport IS cheaper than "yachting" My HummelBird cost is less for insurance and registration, the boat fuel tank takes 1,000 litres of diesel, the fuel economy pushing forty foot, 15 ton, up the east coast is ridiculousess.

On the other hand the HummelBird does (on paper) 61 mpg us(4litres) at 100 mph.61mpg.jpg.64aa6b575c34673f6d64918e965fea60.jpg This is the one that can do it.

• Like 1

Ayecapt,

Why?, All the finances were mine, as is the flying cost,

If I take 8 guest away for a couple of weeks cruising, I had to feed and provide liquid refreshments too, on the other hand I take myself flying in the club environment,

and it's one eighth of the cost of cruising. And be there & back in a long weekend.

spacesailor

That's GOOD.

I told my late brother the same thing long ago, he didn't believe me, so, I told him to leave his wallet behind. Suddenly his friends all had other things to do.

I would like to have a aircraft owning friend LoL

spacesailor

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
When you have a boat, a swimming pool or lot's of beer you have lot's of friends who are not around when you don't have any boat, pool or beer. Nev

Totally agree, and with a aircraft friends an relos mostly run the other way lol . A Good thing actually .

• Like 1