Aircraft charity raffle - Vote on aircraft type and tickets

How many tickets would you buy for your preferred aircraft type at $50 per ticket?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. How many tickets would you buy for your preferred aircraft type at $50 per ticket?

• No tickets
    • One
    • Two
    • Three
    • Four
    • Five plus

So if I was to organise an aircraft charity raffle (from the discussions on the other thread) a couple of questions and a poll on ticket prices to test your collective appetite....

- what aircraft ($50 to $100k range limit) and why?

Quick poll on the thread as well to assess how many tickets you would buy for this type of aircraft if it was offered a $50 per ticket.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being a GA guy, I would want something fairly conventual , would be nice if it was an RV7/9/4 or similar but they would be priced out slightly. Maybe a Brumby/Jab to support the locals?

As for what aircraft.............. Well one thing is for sure and that is the fact that we won't all agree on which one.

I am renowned for not being a fan of Jab engines but I do think that a jab would fit right in the price bracket nicely. Of course a 130k limit would certainly open up an awful lot of (IMO) superior planes but that of course requires more tickets to be sold to get to the break even point. Although having said that I wonder if more people would buy tickets for a A32 vixen (as an example, many other planes could be inserted here of course) than a j230?

Would it be viable to have a cash option? Maybe 60 or 70% of the planes value? For those who don't need/want the plane?

RVs are beautiful machines and seem to hold their value well nice with the comfortable cruising and aerobatics option on the 7. Not relevant to this discussion but have always lusted after an rv8 Ben.

• Agree 1

As for what aircraft.............. Well one thing is for sure and that is the fact that we won't all agree on which one.I am renowned for not being a fan of Jab engines but I do think that a jab would fit right in the price bracket nicely. Of course a 130k limit would certainly open up an awful lot of (IMO) superior planes but that of course requires more tickets to be sold to get to the break even point. Although having said that I wonder if more people would buy tickets for a A32 vixen (as an example, many other planes could be inserted here of course) than a j230?

Would it be viable to have a cash option? Maybe 60 or 70% of the planes value? For those who don't need/want the plane?

I like the idea of home grown options too as theoretically lesser maintenance costs as parts would not be shipped and a bit of loyalty to the Aussie market would be good. Apart from the Jabi i am really not that familiar with what is out there?

In the SA raffle a lot of people do sell the prize airplane as their either can't actually afford the upkeep (it seems to always be a certified one there) and/or they already have another aircraft or financial commitments. Might be difficult to administer a cash option as theoretically the plane would have been purchased at the point in the raffle build up where the ticket sales crossed the aircraft value threshold.

I also like the idea of a couple of much cheaper runner up prizes like the aerobatic flips in Jets and Pitts that are offered around the country.

I should have added the 8, was just thinking off the top of my head for two place RVs.

Also obviously wasn't suggesting that the aircraft should be part of a convent but it's too late to edit the post.

• Like 1

100K isnt going to get you too many new aircraft like a foxbat or a savannah or a sling etc...and if it was a jab with a rotax in it I might buy a couple of tickets

Second hand but low hours would you still go for it instead of brand new?

I think that how many tickets I would but would be more related to the choice of charity and not so much the aircraft. If say it was to raise money for Angel flight then I would happily buy 5 tickets at $50. Some other "charities" I would not buy anything.

As an aircraft suggestion, something like a tiger moth could work well. It is recognised by non flyers and is something a lot of people would like to have bit would never buy themselves...

• Agree 1

Agree with you Nobody (sounds weird) I think that realistically there are two categories of people; people who buy predominantly for the plane and people who buy predominately for the charity. So selection of the charity is obviously really important. I haven't looked deeply into this element yet as there are so many deserving charities but that being said I am personally after one that looks after kids with serious medical conditions.

A Tiger would be an awesome prize. Are they PPL only or do they fit the RA category as well?

I'd buy a couple regardless, but perhaps more for some charities. Aircraft; something like a Sling, even if 2nd hand would have wide appeal - the back story about their round the world flights would be another hook for free publicity. I'd be happy with either GA or RA, however I get the feeling that an RA type, coupled with a story about "only" 20 hours for a licence would have wide appeal to non-flyers.

The Sling is a really decent aircraft and prior to converting to the dark side I used to fly them regularly in SA.

It's probably all doable but dependent on the marketing of the charity and raffle at a wide variety of aviation events. Australia is such a big place that it would be difficult to get coverage of the events in person which makes you quite reliant on electronic sales.

A simple J120.

Comes in well under budget.

1500 tickets for aircraft.

Another 500 tickets for the profit.

Think you will sell more than 2000 tickets to an organisation of less than 10,000 people?

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

Seems like a good choice Fishla. Is the 10000 the total number of GA and RA pilots in Oz or just RA?

I think there is also the opportunity to sell some tickets outside of the existing aviation market.

Thanks Fishla, much appreciated. Makes then to select an aircraft which has which is on the upper limit of the RA parameters so that it is attractive to both pools of pilots.

I reckon 2000 would be possible with a decent marketing plan covering both sets of pilots. Going to have a few conversations to see if it is possible and who I could get to support me.

It's not limited to PPL holders tho obviously, there are another 10K CPL and ATPL holders.So is that 40k all up then?

True there would likely be a slice of CPL and ATPL who either fly for fun outside of work or are hour building.

Better odds than the lottery!

Without trying to start another Jabi handbags at dawn issue, do you think that a jabi as the prize choice might polarise people who were buyers as there seems to be two distinct jabi camps (either swear by them or hate them)?

Better odds than the lottery!Without trying to start another Jabi handbags at dawn issue, do you think that a jabi as the prize choice might polarise people who were buyers as there seems to be two distinct jabi camps (either swear by them or hate them)?

I wouldn't want to win something with a Rotax engine in it - I might end up becoming smug and sanctimonious. 050_sad_angel.gif.66bb54b0565953d04ff590616ca5018b.gif

• Haha 4