An RC Guys (Rotary) on the forum?

Pearo

I am trying to teach myself how to fly a RC Heli. Watching all the online tutorials and have invested quite a few hours in it now. Its so frustrating, I swear flying a real aircraft is actually easier than flying an RC Heli.

• Agree 1

I've got three crashed RC helicopters, among'st the other junk.There not as easy as they look to fly.spacesailor

I am making inroads, but its slow. Invested in an RC sim program which is helping a lot. 1 hour of sim time, 10 minutes of real flying (which usually includes a couple of tail rotor replacements). I am still learning to hover.

Realflight make a very good sim product. Until I'd spent some time on that, I'd never brought back in a state where I could use it again.

I fly both RC helis and fixed wing, not very well mind you, but I have a few aircraft that are several years old now and are well used. What size heli are you flying? I've found the bigger ones are more stable but more expensive every time you hit something. I have a little MCPX Blade that is tiny, but quite stable for it's size, which is very impact tolerant. Most times you can just pick it up, set it back on it's skids and fly again.

The best training tool to learn the basics of rc heli flying these days has to be a small quadcopter. They can be had for next to nothing, and are virtually bullet proof. You will learn the basics very quickly; tail in, side in, nose in hover, forward flight and patterns, but obviously they will not fly inverted so you'll need a real cp heli or a good sim for that.

If you spend a little more and buy one that you can bind to your existing transmitter it will be an easier jump back to your heli. But be careful! From cheap quads it is not too far to the vortex of FPV quad racing, so be warned!