Will Skidmore puts the skids on class 2 medicals

DrZoos

Once the student has soloed you effectively have two pilots who could land it. BOTH have proven they can and even pre solo most would do a fair effort, if they had to. Nev

Hi Nev,

I think you also once pointed out, that in a multi crew cockpit environment there is redundancy for the PIC with other qualified pilots on the flight deck. Which logically makes sense, that not only are RPT pilots subject to a Class 1, they usually have competent back up.

Whilst this thread is about AVMED for private pilots, it still begs the question if the notion of total AVMED reform is required?

I shall remain optimistic for the PLL/RPL that evidence, facts and commonsense will prevail and we will achieve alignment with what others international bodies or better still will be introspectively align with the example of the RAA.

Cheers

Vev

• Informative 1

Vev. Compliance with International bodies normally slows progress. We are now so far behind most progressive thought, that copying someone else would be better. ICAO is the internationally accepted body and compliance means/allows international compatibility. We should not go there with our "certificate" as the benefit is small compared with the constraints, particularly if we expect to lead in any way as we looked to be doing, for a brief period around 20 years ago. Nev

I posted that here years ago. It was supposed to have happened at District Park, (Newcastle) Royal Newcastle Aero Club, before my time in the later 50's. The student being forewarned took a spare stick , waved it above his head and chucked it over the side. (so the story goes).. I believed it at the time.. Could well be true..Nev

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As a result of CASA's AVMED incredibly high health standards,

I wonder if these standards set by AVMED are the result of a gargantuan knee-jerk reaction to some very isolated cases, especially where some form of mental norm variance is thought to have occurred.

I suppose it would not take a great effort of recall to name the fatal commercial aviation incidents over the past ten years or so where mental or physical health has been a factor. Now determine the ratio of that type of fatal incident to

a) Fatal commercial flight incidents where the cause is attributable to non-human factors

b) The number of commercial flights made during the period under review where no incident of any type occurred.

I bet the ratio is an infinitesimal size.

OME

It's been the general view of pilots, and others interested, who have looked into this medical business over MANY years that the strict tests and requirements have had little positive results predicting heart events. The stress ECG can bring on a heart event, some time after. There are few valid tests that predict these things with any accuracy.

Even very fit people are not immune from dropping dead without warning during a football match or a fun run. Stress has been associated with sudden heart attacks in crew. Obvious factors like overweight, unfit, people who suffer chest pains when under exertion, arteries with known build up of plaque, High blood pressure predisposes to a stroke, diabetes etc are more likely to be at risk.

Food poisoning is a significant risk. A chicken sandwich at a hot roadside stop mightn't be the wisest move, prior to a flight. Dehydration and low blood sugar are to be watched. Hangovers and lack of sleep are not wise. A good aviation Doctor says " How do you feel"? IF you DO feel OK it's a big chance you are OK. (So they tell me). Nev

• Agree 1