Clear Prop (.com.au) or Aircrat Pilots (.com)

Admin

Which site name is best for the new Pilot Shopping and Classifieds site  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which site name is best for the new Pilot Shopping and Classifieds site

• Clear Prop (.com.au)
    • Aircraft Pilots (.com)

I am trying to make up my mind on what site to make the new Shopping and Classifieds site.

Currently the shop is on Clear Prop (.com.au) and with the .com.au it is limited to Australia (other domain extensions are taken) plus it may not be a name that will drive potential users to it.

On the other hand, Aircraft Pilots (.com) is a domain where I own all the extensions for plus it has a name that will entice pilots and those in aviation to it and further on to here.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Ok, the intentions...

Currently we have a stand alone site called Clear Prop (.com.au) that has our Pilot and Aircraft Supplies Discount Shop...that is all it is

We also have on this site a Classifieds section here which is only for private ads i.e. no businesses, and an Aircraft section. The Aircraft section is to be built up into a wiki listing every aircraft old and new for reference

We have users come on here at Recreational Flying and try to flog their wares even though there is NO commercial Advertising allowed...it is a non-commercial community, it's in the rules but they still try

The objective was to create a site that contained the current Clear Prop Shop, the Classifieds with the ability to list ALL kinds or Aircraft, big and small, commercial non-private entries and all kinds of other aviation products. It will also host the Aircraft Wiki PLUS forums for discussions on aviation products, new releases, suppliers to the industry AND allow commercial advertisers on there as well...a full Aviation Industry commercial site. BUT, the Recreational Flying user base here would be auto linked to the new site. You register/log in/log out of Recreational Flying and the same happens on the commercial site i.e. you register on Recreational Flying and you are automatically registered on the commercial site and logged in to the shop, the classifieds etc.

The yet to be built complete Aviation Expo will be on the new site as well. It will be like an Airshow with aircraft and product stands, instant messaging to product representatives and more. There is one of two ways this will be done, one is a interactive 3d walk around software or 2, static pages of stands...still to be decided.

The big difference I see is that this site is for "recreational aviators" however the commercial site is for ALL Pilots, Recreational, General Aviation, Business and Commercial etc.

As I said for Clear Prop I only have the Australian domain name but for Aircraft Pilots, I have the world wide domain rights like .com, .net, .co.nz, .co.uk etc.

Perhaps with a world wide domain and called Aircraft Pilots, the very words that describe who would use the new site, may entice users from all around the world and then even if they do not wish to perhaps buy that Cessna 182 that is in the Classifieds or that Kneeboard in the shop, they can discuss emerging products and technologies and even click the Recreational Flying menu option and WOW, they are here as well, all registered and logged in.

I suppose it comes down to if you are doing a Google search on something regarding aviation, are you more likely to click on Clear Prop (.com.au) or Aircraft Pilots (.com)?

Ian, I changed my vote from Clear Prop (which I rather like the sound of) to Aircraft Pilots (which I'm not that keen on) for the practical reasons you outlined. You should go with the name that makes the most business sense.

rgmwa

• Agree 3

We could move this whole site over to Aircraft Pilots and it could be the "One Stop Aviation Site" and just leave Recreational Flying with only one forum for RAAus and no user linking. The user linking for the shop has cost me $1,500 so far and seems to only allow the user linking of one forum site but I am working on fixing that bug with the developer.