Icom A22 from direct ship power?

I currently use an Icom A22 as my only radio, without a battery pack, powered via the 12v socket in the side plugged into the aircraft 12v power bus. It seems to work fine.

But I have recently read that this is not a good idea, & that a 'battery eliminator' should be used. This is a black box full of electronic trickery, roughly the same size as a battery.

The reason I don't have a battery fitted is to save the space it occupies in my very cosy cockpit/panel. So the battery eliminator would negate this.

Does anyone else just power their Icom direct from the power bus, without a battery fitted? Any (long term) problems?

TIA

Bruce

I currently use an Icom A22 as my only radio, without a battery pack, powered via the 12v socket in the side plugged into the aircraft 12v power bus. It seems to work fine.But I have recently read that this is not a good idea, & that a 'battery eliminator' should be used. This is a black box full of electronic trickery, roughly the same size as a battery.

The reason I don't have a battery fitted is to save the space it occupies in my very cosy cockpit/panel. So the battery eliminator would negate this.

Does anyone else just power their Icom direct from the power bus, without a battery fitted? Any (long term) problems?

TIA

Bruce

as an avionics tech in my former life, doesen't really matter but ensure you have some sort of protection fuse inline from the bus to the radio as secondary protection from the c/b. Some people have different opinions to this but it doesen't really matter in tech terms.

Who told you the above? Someone trying to empty your wallet?

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I currently use an Icom A22 as my only radio, without a battery pack, powered via the 12v socket in the side plugged into the aircraft 12v power bus. It seems to work fine.But I have recently read that this is not a good idea, & that a 'battery eliminator' should be used. This is a black box full of electronic trickery, roughly the same size as a battery.

TIA

Bruce[/quote

My Icom A22 has no battery attached and is wired into the aircraft 12v. No problems after 18years and 800+ hrs.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Thanks all.

One less thing to worry about! (in light of another 'grammar police' thread going on elsewhere, I suppose that should read 'one thing fewer. . .').

Cheers

Bruce

• Helpful 1

If you ran a trail bike with a dead or no battery the stop light bulb used to burn out quick time due overvoltage. Some voltage regulators are good at limiting spikes and some are not. I would rather not take power straight from an alternator or generator direct myself. I may be in the minority here, but a good battery is part of the equation for me. You might like to use it after the engine quits too. Nev

• Agree 1

Yes, I understand the benefit of a battery to absorb voltage spikes (and for when the noise stops).

My radio feed comes off my 12v bus, which also feeds two separate 12v batteries. So these batteries are in the radio circuit, just not the dedicated Icom battery pack.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

The way I read this post. Soeair runs an Icom without its battery pack, not a battery in the plane. I run my radios and GPS from the 12V bus. This is fed from an Odyssey battery and the alternator.

TIA

Bruce

ICOM Australia aviation radio dealers sell an ICOM factory cig lighter lead with noise filter (and fuse) designed for the ICOM A20. Some may have units 'on the shelf'.

If you want one I have a couple available (we used them on our Drifters at the flying school), on the members market, new but old stock (no Drifters anymore).

ICOMcharger.jpg.75bb4c79567c09029c0a29c5b91aac7d.jpg

OK, so perhaps not needed if others have had no problems powering the radio via bus/aircraft battery.

I'll leave it as is for now Rod, but thanks for your offer.

Cheers