Airstrips between Rocky and Mackay.

WayneL

Does anyone know of any airstrips/landing areas between Hedlow & St Lawrence and between St Lawrence & Palmyra?

Trying to plan an epic flight in my 95:10 Loehle Sport Parasol from Clifton to Lakeside airpark and return for next Easter's flyin. Trying to keep fuel stops less than 1:15 apart (no wind). The rest of the planned route is doable but the above two segments are too long.

Hoping someone knows about any places not shown on the WAC or VNC/VTC charts.

Wayne

Yes Scott No problems with Hedlow. Problem is from there to Mackay. Both legs with a headwind are a no go.Wayne

Hi Wayne GlenParie is property between Headlow and St Lawrence and a private airstrip is on a cane farm at Komula between St Lawrence and Palmyra. I haven't landed at either.

Hi Wayne GlenParie is property between Headlow and St Lawrence and a private airstrip is on a cane farm at Komula between St Lawrence and Palmyra. I haven't landed at either.

Thanks, I have sent you a pm. Would be great if I can contact these property owners to see if I can access these strips.

Cheers,

Wayne

On the way up you should have a tailwind, when heading south we tend to head inland, less headwind away from the coast but further. Fuel available at Nebo, Middlemount then Dingo roadhouse. Cheers Ian

I had dismissed an inland route as strips were further apart when looking from Clifton end going up north. But relooking at strips going south from Dingo after Ian's suggestion, I find it possible to continue south and then over to Gympie where I can back track on my coastal route to Clifton.

Would prefer the coastal route though, would have to agree with Doug about tiger country. Inland route via Gympie would have me crossing the range 3 times and the Loehle does not have a strong climb. Weather will be a big factor for the coastal route. Like Ian says, most likely to have a south easter that time of year (tail wind ) but will have to wait and see.

I am planning this assuming I will have a ground support person in a vehicle to make it easier. Two day flight overnight at Emu park or Hedlow. Will plan to have enough spare time before and after flyin so I am not pressured to fly. Allow timing to fit in with best weather patterns.

Wayne.

• Like 1

Hi Wayne, We cross the range just south of mount Hector which is just about 10 nm wnw of lakeside airpark, has about 5 mins of pucker country but then opens out to open cattle country. If you have ground support makes it much easier, fuel is a bit of a walk at both Nebo and Middlemount, but lots of other places to land and top up with the support vehilcle.

See you at Lakeside for Easter.

No way I would fly that way in the parasol I be going coastal along the hwy plenty of area to put down if required on the coast roads and also if required a lot easer to get assistance to u and you can land in a short road beside hwy or side roads if needed for fuelling and your support crew will be able to keep up pretty well That be the option that I would have been using too fly that little plane to old station if I had done that trip. When I owned her. Even today I try to avoid flying over tiger country in both my Lightwings guess I am over cautious but kept me out of places I don't like too be so far

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Looking at australia topo maps I see strips marked at places like Marlborough, Flaggy Rock and Carmila. Looking at Google Earth , the strip west of Marlborough (Marlborough station?) And the Carmila strip look like potential stops for refueling. Might have to call some of the local businesses to see if I can find out who the operator owners are. Must get hold of a current Qld country airstrip guide. Older version I have is no help with strips in this area.

Wayne

• Agree 1