Overwhelmed

Hi, I would like to be a part of the flying community, but I'm just... overwhelmed. I'm 14, and while I know that may be a little young I would like to at least know what to do (what schools to go to, what aircraft to get, etc) before the time comes to actually train, which according to google is 16. I guess I'll start off with my goal which is to be able to fly myself to places. While piloting a passenger plane would be a goal I feel would be more substantial because of the hard hours of non-paid training it takes to get it and the fact that hundreds of lives lay in my hands scares the bejeezus out of me. Heck, I can barely land a Beechcraft king air 350 in FSX. Basically, the first and foremost thing I want to know is what flying school I go to and how do I get in. The closest airport to me is Charlotte Douglas International Airport (or CLT).Any information or websites would help me. The second thing I need to know is that if having Cystic Fibrosis and Crohn's disease would stop me from being a commercial/recreational pilot. Please respond if you have any helpful Information, Luke:oh yeah:

• Like 1

Hi and welcome Luke.

The rules and regs are different here in Australia, but I would be looking at Light Sports Aircraft (LSA) and who governs it in the USA.

Here in Oz, if you are going for a Recreational Pilot Certificate (RPC) through Recreational Aviation Australia (RA Aus), you can start flight training at any age, but you need to be 15 to fly solo.

If I was you, I'd find a small aerodrome near you, with a flight school, and make contact with them. They will tell you what you need and maybe offer you a Trial Introductory Flight (TIF), at a reasonable price, to see if aviation is for you. Maybe stay clear of international airports, way too busy for learner pilots.

I remember having the desire to be a pilot at your age. I finally realized that dream and made it happen 36 years later. I wish I had made it happen much earlier, but better late than never.

All the best Luke, keep your dream alive

Tony

• Like 1

The second thing I need to know is that if having Cystic Fibrosis and Crohn's disease would stop me from being a commercial/recreational pilot.

To answer this one you need to speak to an FAA Aviation Medical Examiner Find an Aviation Medical Examiner (AME). I wouldn't get your hopes up about being a commercial pilot, but you just never know these days. You need to go see the AME now though, because they may be able to start you on a treatment plan to measure the severity of the disease and how it affects you and ideally you need answer before you consider starting any commercial training.

• Informative 1

Being very real about this, it would be best to clarify fully the medical requirements relating to what you wish to do as there's a fair bit of cost in most forms of flying. Here, the RAAus (recreational aviation) have the least stringent medical requirements for ultralight flying compared to other forms of aviation. Gliding may be similar.. In America don't go for a situation you may fail as that stays on the record, and may not help. Drop in at "interesting" airfields, look at the planes and if some instructing type is around, discuss your situation confidentially with him or her. All the best young fella. I can still remember sitting near the aerodrome fence at Newcastle (NSW) and looking at all the planes. Today the aerodromes are nowhere near as active as they were then. I did control line models from age 12 with some free flight (power ratio). to get a lot of exercise chasing them when they caught a thermal. Good luck. Nev

• Agree 1

You might be able to do some initial research on your health starting here

Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners

or maybe ask some questions here

Pilots with CF

Good luck, and remember you don't have to fly solo, to enjoy the joy of flight. Many people who cant pass a medical or start learning too old, only every fly with an instructor.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Luke,

Contact the EAA -experimental aircraft association. I'd bet there's a group near you. You'll probably find someone who'd take you up for a flight. Don't worry about your health problems at this point. Just see if you can get into the air and enjoy it. Even if you are not able to fly commercially, there's always the chance you might fly for a hobby, depending on how your conditions develop. Good luck mate and let us know how it's going.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
Chapter 309 Home is an EAA chapter in Charlotte. Ask them about getting a young eagles flight. Regardless of the medical you can still enjoy aviation in many forms even if you are restricted. Go to a chapter meeting, hang out with the pilots ask a lot of questions and show your general enthusiasm. You will find that having a good attitude and a friendly demeanor will make you many friends and get you started in the right direction. In the US you can flight Ultralight which requires no certification. Light Sport which is puts limits on your flying but is more capable than Ultralight pilots. Or you can be a General Aviation pilot which is the stepping stone into Commercial Aviation. Good grades through your High School and working with your counselors to pursue a scholarship to an aviation based college will also be beneficial in the long run for you.

• 1 month later...

I'm a little late to this conversation, but the young lad may still be around. The Sport Pilot rating is probably the very best rating in the US for someone just wanting to fly. If health is a factor, no medical is required. There are limitations that beginning flyers absolutely have no problems with. VFR only, restricted air space rules, (my read: Go Around) two place plane under 600 KG. Older pilots, like me, that worry about losing medical, just let it lapse and fly Sport Pilot.

The cost of training for SP is typically $4-5000 US.

• Informative 1