Hello From Montana

ScottB

Not a pilot yet, but I've had a lifetime of interest in aviation. Finally decided I'd put it off long enough, and I'm looking to start pilot training. My main interests have primarily been experimental/home built.

• Like 3

098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif Scott! What type of experimental home built?Frank.

I am looking for something with good STOL capability, ease of build, and affordability. A couple that seem to meet those criteria are the Kitfox and the Zenith STOL 750.

G'day Scott

Have a look at the Savannah, not a USA design, but a very good plane which should suit and easy to build. I have seen a bloke build the best part of a wing in one day.

I bet it's colder in Montana than here in Sunny Qld at 92 deg F

• Agree 1

G'day ScottHave a look at the Savannah, not a USA design, but a very good plane which should suit and easy to build. I have seen a bloke build the best part of a wing in one day

I bet it's colder in Montana than here in Sunny Qld at 92 deg F

Thanks, I'll check it out.

13 degrees f here today. But after spending 13 years in the Southeastern US, I'll take a Montana winter over an Atlanta GA summer any day.

Scott, may i suggest that before you build, do some flying! get some lessons, find out what you want to do, what you like/don't like; just get some hours up. You'll love it! Stay safe, have fun.

That's the plan. I've thought seriously about buying something like an Aeronca Champ and doing my flight training in that. Lots of them available here for around $20-25K US.

I am looking for something with good STOL capability, ease of build, and affordability. A couple that seem to meet those criteria are the Kitfox and the Zenith STOL 750.

Just about to start an ICP Savannah which may be of interest to you, very similar to the Zenair but an easier build.... Maybe

Scott,

My advice is to take yourself down to Idaho - not far for you - and arrange a visit with the Kitfox factory. Then follow up with a few lessons with Stick and Rudder Aviation who. use just Kitfox Aircarft. In fact, if you book a few lessons with S&R they will take you to the factory. You won't be sorry.

kitfoxaircraft.com

www.stick-rudder.com/