My Savannah S model rebuild Blog

Kyle Communications

Marty I have had several bed slingers and fixed or modified a few of my mates ones as well. Always some sort of dicking around with settings or whatever and changing filament can be a real PIA at times. Also the quality of the printing can be a little "rough" at times too depending on how well you tune your slicer software. My BIQU crapped itself a few months ago but I do have a RatRig Vcore3 here that I got about 12 months ago but havent had the time to put it together but I had been keeping an eye on what was out there. Core XY is really the way to go for a 3D printer as you dont have the momentum of the bed to worry about. Thats why I got the RatRig and with the accelerometer you can get rid of most of the ringing on your prints. Bambu Labs came out with a rush with the X1 Carbon but its the top end one but really the extra 800 bucks really isnt worth it. The screen is nice sure but the Lidar they use seems a bit hit and miss. I went with the middle one with the 4 rack AMS cost about $1600 bucks..hedged at the price but was seeing too many good things about it. It arrived a week after ordering...holy crap the easiest thing to get going ..the speed is unbeliveable and the quality is beyond anything I have ever seen in real life come off a 3D printer.

The engineers that founded Bambu are all ex DJI drone guys so you know the electronics and software is pretty slick..and it is. The automatic material system is just so good.No feeding filament anymore it does the intial loading automatically and changing when you select which one you want to print. I use the Bambu App on the computer and its connected to wifi and it just all works not to mention I can start a print and then go out the I can be anywhere and oen the app on my phone and look at the camera thats in there to make sure its all printing ok. To date touch wood I have not had one failure print. Everyone is just fantastic so much better than I am used to. Some examples I printed below

IMG_2740.thumb.jpeg.8dc7a8c17dfc23600a3665ec1ae62ac1.jpegIMG_2739.thumb.jpeg.85762d3e12e1e6be6b0ae6a7bb1c7abf.jpegIMG_2741.thumb.jpeg.4bacab6a95f710a64905311a79f890bf.jpegIMG_2742.thumb.jpeg.00edf5c8c7b9a80fcef1fd1f2a39004d.jpegIMG_2738.thumb.jpeg.22dea492ba7e8b0c41054d740e632b68.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

That certainly looks great Mark. 

I'm on a bit of a budget so had to limit myself.

The Ender 5 Plus was recommended as a good budget / starting printer by a colleague who has, like you, been into 3D printing for a long time.  $620 on special,  couple hundred less than normal. 

Those prints you've got are brilliant. 

How strong are the parts you make, Mark? Do they have a weakness along the joints between layers, or do the layers bond really well? I used a lot of prototype parts at my last company, but we always had to be really careful to not stress them. 

• Informative 1

The Bambu Labs unit really prints the layers super accurately and they seem to bond exceptionally well. These ones are just PLA but I may print a set in ABS as the Bambu has a heated chamber and apparently does very well. I tested to breakage one the the PLA first ones at 15% infill and it was pretty good. At 60% infill its really strong..there isnt any stress on it where it is. The rivets will pull through the covers if the chute is deployed

• Like 1
  • Informative 1