Went Solo :)

Went solo today totally out of the blue just thought it be the norm days flying out to the training area then back for circuits. Being reminded to keep the ball centered.

Well that did happen and a how do you fell bout doing one by yourself put to me by my CFI.

What a way to start the year.

• Like 12
  • Winner 10

Well done.I had the same thing happen to me years ago.I think at times Instructors feel it`s best not to tell you in advance you are about to go solo.I would have been anxious myself if I had known a week before,I would be be going solo.The fun now starts,keep it up.

Congratulations. Believe it or not I can't remember my first solo. I can remember a couple of first flights of home built aeroplanes and also first parachute jump. Now you can start learning to fly safely and having fun.

Walking the dark side eh!Well done.

Mum and Dad live in Goolwa.

Thanks. For now your folks are safe :) entry and departure points on downwind put me to the north of the town closest i get is the sewerage pond on the edge of town as I can go out to Milang only which is my training area.

Congratulations, my hangar is just down from the run-up bay if you ever feel Ike a chat,Peter

That wasn't you out there Sunday morning putting in fuel in a redish Onex at the pump while i was waiting for ED?

[ATTACH]47651[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]47651[/ATTACH] No, away at the moment, back Thursday, should be around on the weekend.Are you based in Goolwa?

Peter

Live in Adelaide but fly out of goolwa im under the watchfull eye of Ed Herring. I will out there again on the weekend.

hey congratulations DW, one of the most memorable events of your life, no doubt. The flying school I went to gave me a club hat (Lone Eagle Flying School - Clifton) with the date embroidered across the back - 18 NOVEMBER 2007

that little hat is one of my most prized possessions - I got my Pilot Certificate professionally framed with my gold wings set in a small window at the bottom. It hangs on the wall of my study (under a nice pic of my Drifter).

if you're ever around S E Qld, make sure you drop in at the Flying Tigers clubhouse at Boonah to say g'day...

BP

PS

hey Peter, I've always had the hots for a Onex - where can I see some pix of yours and some notes on flying the lil beast - twood be a great idea to write an article for Sport Pilot magazine on what it's like to own/fly

Kit planes did a review of the Onex which I thought summed it up pretty well.

I have posted a YouTube video which gives a good view of my plane flying. "Onex flying over the Coorong ".

Stalls dirty in the low 30's Kias, clean in the mid 30's Kias, stalls with some buffet, tends to mush down with no wing drop, straight and level 120kias, on the basic normally aspirated aerovee, climbs minimum 600fpm,

Well balanced , hardly ever touch the trim, 2 fingers on the stick is probably 1 too many, easy to fly, easy to land, responsive. It was my first build and I found the kit and instructions/plans straightforward.

It is only capable of basic aeros, (which is very much the limit of my ability), so far I have done loops, barrel rolls, aileron rolls, slow rolls,1/2 Cubans, hammerheads, spins. VW parts are cheap, running costs low.

I think of it as an honest little plane with modest performance. Many people are put off by the looks of the Sonex range but I like them.

Anything specific you would like a photo of?

Cheers Peter

My first Solo was back on Oct 2 1985, Get to sorta re-live the moment again soon, Instructor going to cut me loose again after a short break(28 Years OMG) Lol the skys over Boonah await.

Wow Marty, I thought my 2 years on the sideline was Bad...28 years - but hey ya never forget - push stick forward, trees get bigger, pull stick back, trees get smaller, keep stick back trees disappear then reappear!!!

I'll be o/s until 14th Feb but pm me after that and we'll get together at YBOA - buy ya lunch at the Doogy to celebrate getting your licence back!

Hey Peter, I'll check out the vid - pls let me know if you're ever going to be at Boonah, I'd love to have a close look at the Onex

cheers

BP