Drone Flying Classes

red750

A segment on Weekend Sunrise this morning about the introduction of drone flying classes as a HSC subject in NSW high schools. Getting ready to go to a kids birthday party, so didn't get to see much of the segment.

The Sunrise people spoke to the originator of the course and put up a list of schools in New South Wales which are providing the course. It is an approved course going towards the award of a Higher School Certificate. The course content must have been approved by the Board of Studies, so one could say that the content is sound.

A participant also appeared and said that he was doing the course with the hope of becoming an RAAF pilot. Poor boy! The ability to fly any aircraft remotely has no intrinsic value in flying an aircraft that you are sitting in (See thread "Simulation ruined my actual flying). Perhaps this young fellow could look towards a career in the Army, where the used of drones would be more applicable.

Personally, I'd much rather see Driver Education being a compulsory course from Year 7. That might put an end to incidents involving rookie drivers like this: Allegedly drunk teen crashed ute into Sydney house and car

OME

• 2 weeks later...
Guest FlyingPhil

I have a done a CASA approved RePL license (drones) though Fly-UAS (excellent course). I disagree with you OME (respectfully of course). If done on a similar course I believe the students would greatly benefit from learning about drones. Admittedly there is not much 'flying' perse, you push the sticks up the drone goes up if it's a quad or such. But the real beauty is all the electronics, controllers, set up of the autonomous flight systems, air law, air nav, battery management, flying in controlled airspace, air radio.... the list goes on and on. The best part is it's fairly cheap and it keeps young people's interest in a video game age. The key here is accessibility. You can bring it to the classroom and demonstrate the physics on the footy field. Try landing a tecnam for demo on the cricket pitch. And really, it doesn't harm kids to fly models either. I wish I had it when I was bored stiff in year 12. 062_book.gif.f66253742d25e17391c5980536af74da.gif

Phil

Posting a conflicting opinion of what someone has posted should never be taken as a lack of respect. Actually, it shows respect to the original post as it reveals that some consideration has been given to the first opinion.

Enough syncopathy.

When I said that drone flying would not aid the transfer to flying a person-carrying aircraft, I was restricting myself to that activity. It is without doubt that the ability to operate remotely controlled aerial surveillance or ordnance delivery system will be an essential skill in the future. That is a good skill to develop in the minority of young people who wish to possess it. My priority, however, is to the majority of young people who will require the skills to operate ground transport vehicles in a safe manner. That's why I would support the provision of Driver Education before Drone Education.

OME

Two drone courses have been run at Hangar 8 at Lethbridge. YLED.

The home of the Antonov 2 and the Iskra jet.

Run through Eastern Bloc Warbirds with professional pilots running the course with overheads, instruction and flying nearby.

Posting a conflicting opinion of what someone has posted should never be taken as a lack of respect. Actually, it shows respect to the original post as it reveals that some consideration has been given to the first opinion.Enough syncopathy.

When I said that drone flying would not aid the transfer to flying a person-carrying aircraft, I was restricting myself to that activity. It is without doubt that the ability to operate remotely controlled aerial surveillance or ordnance delivery system will be an essential skill in the future. That is a good skill to develop in the minority of young people who wish to possess it. My priority, however, is to the majority of young people who will require the skills to operate ground transport vehicles in a safe manner. That's why I would support the provision of Driver Education before Drone Education.

OME

I have an interesting story about that OME,. . .but that would be Driftin' somewhat. . .'Nuther thread perhaps. . . .