New Bat Bot, fascinating

[/url]

Bat wings have intrigued scientists for centuries

. And now, engineers have created “Bat Bot,” a small aircraft that mimics the flight patterns of the small, rodent-like flyers....

Earlier attempts at a bat-like flying machine failed because inventors tried to replicate the entire skeletal and muscular structure. The final devices were too heavy to fly.

So researchers at CalTech and the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign simplified matters by focusing on the motions of a bat wing’s base components: the shoulder, the elbow, the wrist and the tail. Their device’s wings are formed from a single super-thin membrane made of silicone. Its bones are made of carbon fibre, and its joints are 3D-printed plastic.

All of which lightens the load. Bat Bot weighs 3.3 ounces, roughly the same as a large lemon or one and a half tennis balls. The flexible wings aid aerodynamics too.

There is so much we can learn from the created world around us. Just thinking that something like a stall-spin accident would be close to impossible with the function and agility of this mechanism. On the other hand I wonder how well it would handle winds, and there is always the limitation of stored energy capacity vs weight - something that is still vastly more efficient in nature.

• 1 month later...
Re noise, yes, I agree. But just how much weight are those flimsy structures going to be able to carry. not as much as a drone unless they are HUGE.

All they need to do is carry a high definition miniaturised camera to a trouble spot. This will give an enormous advantage over the enemy.

Information is power.

It is interesting how frequently biomimicry is used in science and technology. Creation has been wonderfully designed!

There is so much we can learn from the "created" world around us.

"evolved".

And that Grandkids is when the famous 2017 135,000 post thread started that GrandDad was involved in ... 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Drones are noisy. Swarms of small weaponized bat bots could be very handy to the military for example.

Brother Gnu, less of the promotion of warfare eh?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

That would be hydrogen gas, came from nowhere and over time made everything?

More solid than the "Hot Air" that came from nowhere and made everything.

Haha yes, leave that to the Chicoms.

Never started a War in history, Christians, and other religions, however ....

• Haha 1

You believe this by faith ergo you are every bit as religious as me. Or more so seeing as I actually choose to look for evidence. 021_nod.gif.30c66a33e1ed960b5b5d3fc7b345b58d.gif

That's where you are confused Gnu, and I've written it enough times in this forum, I don't subscribe to anything but seeing the end of each day out.

..... and watching Lefties bleed with Trump in 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I couldn't give a toss what happened 5000 years or 50 million years ago.

• Agree 1

In the beginning there was NOTHING and it blew up , ( Big bang theory) come on.

Oh that's lucky, you got to speak English after you flew your plane higher than the Tower of Babel and God gave you a language.

I'll just put some more of Lot's Wife on my hot chips here, hmm, she tastes good!

• Agree 1
  • Helpful 1

• 2 weeks later...
In the beginning there was NOTHING and it blew up , ( Big bang theory) come on.

The Big Bang Theory (BBT) seems very far fetched.

When I grew up, stories all tended to start with "Once Upon A Time..." I think the BBT fits that category of Tales.