RPL - controlled aerodrome endorsement - Aircraft requirements ?

Hi All,

trying to get some info on the aircraft requirements to do the Controlled Aerodrome Endorsement and the Controlled Airspace Endorsement

I transferred my RaAus Certificated to an RPL with Navigation and Radio Endorsement and now it's time for the CTA Endorsement.

CASA Form 61-1RE required :

- Holds a flight radio endorsement with at least a valid ICAO Level 4 Aviation English Language Proficiency

- Pass in the aeronautical knowledge examination for the endorsement

- Completed flight training for the endorsement

My question is, can the flight training be done in a factory build RA-Aus aircraft (with transponder) or does it has to be done in a VH aircraft ?

Cheers,

Xavier

VH registered unfortunately, as stupid as it may seem. RPL training in your case would have to be done under a part 141 training school approval, which means GA instructors with GA aircraft. Also I believe the endorsement has to be issued by a grade 2 instructor or higher, although I'm not 100% certain of that. Since it's an endorsement, not a rating, it doesn't require a flight test as such, you just have to demonstrate competence. I would suggest it might be a good time to chuck in a retractable and CSU endorsement as well.

• Like 1

trying to get some info on the aircraft requirements to do the Controlled Aerodrome Endorsement and the Controlled Airspace Endorsement

Hi guys,could someone point the way to more information regarding these two endorsements please. Navigating the CASA website is next to impossible and I cant find any detailed information.

Also, if one obtains these endorsements, can you fly an ra-aus aircraft through controlled airspace? I have NOWRA military airspace active just south of me with a GA lane, but currently need clearance to fly through it. Was hoping to get one of these endorsements so i can fly through it in a Jabiru.

This question has been done to death. This is not advice but if it was me I would be talking to my instructor about my part 61 licence and endorsements and the specific plane I plan to fly

Talked to three different instructors yesterday at three different flight schools and got three different answers. Looking for some official information because it seems no one really knows, and probably the reason this question has been done to death

• Agree 3

My only recollection, for what it's worth, is the candidate will provide a "suitable" aeroplane for the test and that would have been IFR instrumented for whatever aids you wanted on your licence. There would be a presumption of it being GA with TSO'd instrumentation, radios etc. ALL this stuff should be clearly spelled out somewhere. It may well not be so I'm not inferring it's anyone's fault but that of whoever's job it is to FACILITATE getting things done. Nev

In answer to the second part of the question... The bit about going through the Nowra when it is active.

If the plane you are going to fly has been to Canberra or any other class C airspace, then it will be acceptable. A J170 from a flying school with a certified altimeter and Mode C transponder (and the certification period is still valid) will be ok. That is in part 95.24.

The pilot needs to have a valid current part 61 licence. ALSO if the PIC is on a part 61 RPL they need to already have had CTR endorsement for transit and CTA endorsement for landing at a controlled aerodrome as applicable to the mission

• Helpful 1

Thanks mate... I'll check out those references.

The transponder needs to have been calibrated to enter Class C control , it's called RAD 43-47 I think from memory and done every two years ! Correct me if I'm wrong.

I should have mentioned Mode C or Mode S but yes there will be a test and validity date for the pitot static system (altitude and airspeed) and the transponder. Its a minor detail that will appear in the aircraft log. Normally this isn't in the plane. CAO 20.18 paragraph 9 gives some clues about the need to have a servicable transponder in class C airspace. Side note: inspection is annual but calibration is 24 months.

• Informative 1

I can not find anything in the act or regs that states what registration a aircraft have to be, to do flight training or endorsement,

My understanding there is nothing stopping you from doing flying in a VH, overseas, or Raa registration aircraft,

May be as Raa aircraft in not a reconnaissance as a Australia aircraft, be cos it not on the Australia casa register.

Not training. Flying into or through controlled airspace. But yes Daniel you are correct regarding the training. It just won't count as valid unless part 141 is followed with regard to a part 61 licence. It may count as aeronautical experience only.

Unless I am missing it, in part 141 an 61 does not state what registration a aircraft have to be

Training must be done by a Part 141/142 school therefore it does limit the registration etc - read the Ops Manual of the school. The training must be done per a syllabus in that CASA-accepted Ops Manual. Part 61 is very specific as to the registration of aircraft it applies to.

(just my opinion from having spent much time looking at these rules a while back so relying on my faulty memory too)

Part 61.007 states part 61 applies to "registered aircraft". CASA do not regard RAAus aircraft as "registered". So if you are training for a CTA endorsement issued under Part 61 they require you and the instructor to use an aircraft also authorised under Part 61 I guess.

• Agree 1

Ok, if the regulations are written from the act, and in the act there is a definition of what is an airplane, and makes no mention of a VH, Raa, or any type of registration it would be fair to say putting VH or any prefix is/would be incorrect. My understanding is that any regulation must be backed up by an Act.

Talked to three different instructors yesterday at three different flight schools and got three different answers. Looking for some official information because it seems no one really knows, and probably the reason this question has been done to death

And it seems we still have confusion...I want an RPL but I don't need CTA...no interested in that, I just want be able to fly the heavier RV...

David

My 24 rego aircraft is fully CTA,CTR compliant. Indeed, I have legally been in CTA in my aircraft but I needed to have a PPL in the left seat, to meet CASA requirements that discriminate against RPC owners like myself.

RA-Aus currently has a submission with CASA to establish a CTA/CTR pilot endorsement pathway wholly within RA-Aus (possibly approved by mid 2017 some have tipped)

Until this is approved, I would otherwise be required to spend $$ in some random VH aircraft getting a CASA RPL, only to exercise CTA privileges back in my own aircraft!! This madness has been the case for some time, unfortunately.