Re fuelling

benjam

As for the Declin scavenger - I adopted that practice after flying the US where it is widely used with Avgas and rotax engines. I also change oil at 25 hrs irrespective.

I googled this with no result.

Would you please expand? Where do you get one? Is it an additive or a mechanical tool?

Hi there, I am using these exact same jerry cans, but I've found that mine are not seal. They leak when laid on their sides, or when weight is pressing on them. Very annoying. Is it the same with yours and have I just gotten a bad batch?

Mine do not seem to leak liquid fuel. They are only full for a few minutes on my way to the airfield, so I haven't put them to any real stress when full. In my aircraft, they are always empty and folded. I do notice them to have a slight fuel smell immediately after use, when folded up in the cargo area, so perhaps the seal isn't perfect (allowing some vapours to escape). My cockpit is very well ventilated, and so any slight fumes aren't noticeable once I've started.

Perhaps you got a bad set... I'm assuming you probably haven't cross-threaded the cap or flexible hose/nozzle.... I can't remember what the gasket looks like on the underside of the cap in mine, but that is where I would inspect it for problems.

HI Skippy Diesel,Yes, I agree - my mistake - I meant to say that I mix ordinary unleaded with Avgas when premium ( 95or 98) is not available.

As for the Declin scavenger - I adopted that practice after flying the US where it is widely used with Avgas and rotax engines. I also change oil at 25 hrs irrespective.

chers

r

Wow! I thought I was being obsessive by changing my 912 ULS oil at 50 hrs.

I use 98 RON almost all the time. In seven years of flying, necessity once dictated using 95 RON and also once used AVGAS to fill my tanks for the next leg of the trip.

Would it be too impertinent to suggest that a 25 hr oil change for a Rotax 912 is, to some extent, negating one of its main advantages over the air cooled mob.

OZJohn - "Rotax recommends maximum of 30% Avgas. Oil changes and gearbox service requirements as above. Lead affects the gearbox clutch."

I think you will find that you may use 100% AVGAS in the 912 range (and a few people do) and that the lead build up is pretty much throughout the internals of the engine/gearbox, not just the clutch. Clearly the lead may only have a negative impact in certain areas, clutch mechanisms, valve seats & stems, oil galleries, etc etc.

Mine do not seem to leak liquid fuel. They are only full for a few minutes on my way to the airfield, so I haven't put them to any real stress when full. In my aircraft, they are always empty and folded. I do notice them to have a slight fuel smell immediately after use, when folded up in the cargo area, so perhaps the seal isn't perfect (allowing some vapours to escape). My cockpit is very well ventilated, and so any slight fumes aren't noticeable once I've started.Perhaps you got a bad set... I'm assuming you probably haven't cross-threaded the cap or flexible hose/nozzle.... I can't remember what the gasket looks like on the underside of the cap in mine, but that is where I would inspect it for problems.

Dear dsam, thank you for getting back. There is no gasket, though. They are sealing by plastic-meets-plastic only. I noticed that there is a sweet spot when tightening where they seal better. Tightening them any harder makes leaking worse. Same is true for the nozzle and the internal thread. This thread also leaks. I have devised a solution where the nozzle is connected to a hose for easy refuelling of my high-wing skyfox. I place the jerry can (bladder) on top of the wing, insert the hose in the fuel tank and start the flow by un-nicking the hose and pressing on the bladder. Works well, but would work perfectly if those threads where seal.

• Informative 1

Dear dsam, thank you for getting back. There is no gasket, though. They are sealing by plastic-meets-plastic only. I noticed that there is a sweet spot when tightening where they seal better. Tightening them any harder makes leaking worse. Same is true for the nozzle and the internal thread. This thread also leaks. I have devised a solution where the nozzle is connected to a hose for easy refuelling of my high-wing skyfox. I place the jerry can (bladder) on top of the wing, insert the hose in the fuel tank and start the flow by un-nicking the hose and pressing on the bladder. Works well, but would work perfectly if those threads where seal.

Mine leaked on a flight across the Nullarbor. Rang the manufacturer in Qld and was told to put some lubricant on the threads - WD40, silicone or similar. When the threads are dry, friction stops the cap from sealing properly. Seems to work.

rgmwa

• Informative 1

So the Avgas 100LL will work with no drama? Are there a variety of avgas Lead levels out there?

Benjamin

You can run on avgas no problems but oil changes at 25 hrs and a gearbox rebuild at 600 if continuously on Avgas

Run on premium u leaded oil changes can run out to 100hrs and gearbox rebuild at 1000 hrs

I run solely at this time on Unleaded but do my oil changes at 50hrs in anycase