Leyburn airfield, any info please.

Hi Puk,

I went looking for Leyburn airfield one day and spotted what I think is where it used to be. From one of the history plaques in town, it was a secret WW2 airfield used by Z force for training and to launch off on missions. I didn't mark the GPS co-ordinates, but if you fly around the Leyburn area, you can eventually spot it and see where the runways once were. It appears to be all farmland/private property now.

Steve

Thanks Steve, I have been investigating a trip up there to attend the Leyburn Motorsprints in August, Again all accom is booked out, but Ithought it might an idea to go out for the day.

Clifton is pretty close but we need transport to and from the event. I will ask around and see what I come up with.and get back to you,

PS are you 2 going to the Cifton Flying early March ?

Thanks for the info, was interested in flying in for this year's Motorsport event.

The locals informed me that the airfield has been broken up into privately owned blocks and there is a plaque at the gate of the property.

I will overfly and check it out soon.

Regards Graham

Hi Graham,

The airstrip is over grown from what I have seen of it on site, but talk to Trevor at Clifton, he would know lots more.

But it's fair walk into Leyburn, better to see if any of the members from Clifton go out to the sprints and hitch a ride with them.

• Helpful 1

My god son owned half of it until 8 or 10 years ago. The boundary fence apparently went across the middle of it, not that it mattered much because the scrub was well and truly reclaiming it by that time anyway. He had done some Drifter training with Trevor so he probably flew over it a few times in that period.

There is however what looks like a very well maintained strip close to the main road about 5 to 10 Km south of Leyburn on a farmstay property. I took the details off the sign on the gate and posted them on a thread here about country fly away trip destinations some time ago.