Adjustable Seats of Fixed Seats? that is the question :-)

eightyknots

I still have to make a choice: extendable seats or fixed seats? That is still the question.

I tried out sitting in an adjustable seat version a week or so ago in Christchurch: I didn't think it was too short but the comfort factor was pretty minimal even fully extended back. But then again, some people say that standard fixed seat is not all that comfortable either.

I still have to make a choice: extendable seats or fixed seats? That is still the question.I tried out sitting in an adjustable seat version a week or so ago in Christchurch: I didn't think it was too short but the comfort factor was pretty minimal even fully extended back. But then again, some people say that standard fixed seat is not all that comfortable either.

I'm not sure if this is directly addressing your question, but here is my 2 cents worth. My Eurofox does not have adjustable seats - it is not designed to have anything like that. It does have a spare seat-back cushion that is thicker for those with shorter legs & have trouble reaching the rudder pedals. Even shorter people might need modifications to the rudder pedals (I haven't really investigated what that might be, though).

As for comfort, I find my non-adjustable high density foam seats are just fine for flights under 3.5 hours, although my average-height 60+ year old body does seem stiff when I get out. Since I'm generally the only person flying my aircraft, it never seems to be an issue having non-adjustable seats. If this was an an aircraft used by a flying school, I'm sure I would consider the question in a completely different way.

hank you would be way too tall for the adjustable seat version I believe...its for short arses

...and the topic wanders.So, where were we?

With regard to Savannah seats, I have spent some time in Fallowdear's VG passenger seat, which was comfortable enough.

My own build is not up to the seat stage, so I can have no opinion on the adjustable seats.

I am medium height and build.

The front bulkhead of the adjustable seat is much lower and flatter, having only a rise in the middle to accommodate the stick. I can't see how you could have one adjustable seat and one standard one.The bucket uses some of the available height, But more significant for some fat arses or their fat arsed pax, they are quite narrow bum buckets too.

I'm not sure if this is directly addressing your question, but here is my 2 cents worth. My Eurofox does not have adjustable seats - it is not designed to have anything like that. It does have a spare seat-back cushion that is thicker for those with shorter legs & have trouble reaching the rudder pedals. Even shorter people might need modifications to the rudder pedals (I haven't really investigated what that might be, though).As for comfort, I find my non-adjustable high density foam seats are just fine for flights under 3.5 hours, although my average-height 60+ year old body does seem stiff when I get out. Since I'm generally the only person flying my aircraft, it never seems to be an issue having non-adjustable seats. If this was an an aircraft used by a flying school, I'm sure I would consider the question in a completely different way.

Thanks for your insights so far: much appreciated.

Any other contributions/views will also be welcome.

My build has the adjustable seats: it was how the kit came.

All joking aside, I also am to a point in life where comfortable seating (amongst other things) matters.

So, if I find the adjustable seats don't work for me, I shall either go back to the standard fixed seating (the centre tunnel and side skins are already drilled for this (too) so I can't see that it would be very difficult) or use the space to fit a seat that does suit me.

Thanks for your insights so far: much appreciated.Any other contributions/views will also be welcome.

As a follow-up comment, also consider full back-stick position clearance to your gut (and "family jewels" for the male aviators among us). If I don't sit fully back into my seat, (and my passengers who also have a joystick in front of them), free and full movement of controls is impeded (definitely a no-no). That is why there is only one option for a thicker seat back, and rudder pedal modification would be the next option for unusually short people. Those who are seriously overweight, or basketball players may not be able to fly with me.... 036_faint.gif.544c913aae3989c0f13fd9d3b82e4e2c.gif

Those who are seriously overweight, or basketball players may not be able to fly with me.... 036_faint.gif.544c913aae3989c0f13fd9d3b82e4e2c.gif

At Bundaberg airshow a few years back we fitted a 6' 9" bloke into one of Reg's Savannahs and he had the same amount of head room as I had in the same plane at 6' 3", so it really comes down to find one and try the fit for yourself.

• Informative 1