Avalon pics

Hi all,

Went to the airshow on Sunday - absolutely fantastic. Lots of warbirds, recreational aircraft and heaps of military hardware. Great flying displays, loved the low passes from the fast burners and was truly impressed by the SubSonex jet, which did a 400km/h low pass (as clocked by Victoria Police!)

The F35 didn't fly but there was a display from an F22 which was impressive... but I preferred the Hornets. My impression when I first saw the F35 in the flesh? "Fat".

Had a good chat with Geoff Eastwood from Goolwa SA (Not sure where it is, but apparently he owns the airfield) - with his 80% Supermarine Spitfire with Jabiru 8 cylinder. Asked him about any problems with the Jab, apparently none since he got it converted to fuel injection with a CHT on every cylinder.

I have some pics in a Google album located here https://goo.gl/photos/gM4KPx24rSyqyJgG9 - feel free to browse!

Cheers, Marty

PS sorry about the two spots in the pictures. I tried cleaning the lens but they still appeared.

• Like 7

Had a good chat with Geoff Eastwood from Goolwa SA (Not sure where it is, but apparently he owns the airfield)

Mouth of the Murray River, home to one of the greatest varieties of migrating bird species in the world, bridge of "Secret Woman's Business", Hindmarsh Island - and home to my Mum and Dad.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Informative 1

Great photos Marty, you and I must have rubbed shoulders at some time, you have many of the same photos as I do. Those spots, the "hook" at the bottom of some photos, and the blur beside the KC30A tanker look like dust on the image sensor. You may need to get a service centre to pull the camera apart to clean it.

I didn't get around quite as much as you, the "wheelbarrow" I was pushing didn't appreciate the screenings scattered over the hard clay. My daughter stayed down near the flight line and took plenty of action photos - her camera is a bit better than mine. I concentrated more on the static displays. My photos are on the other Avalon thread.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For those who may not have seen it, here is an interesting video of the display of the F35 and F22 at Avalon this year. The F22 is quite impressive, and one has to wonder if the powers that be have limited how much of the F35's capabilities can be shown. Just a thought. The video also shows why I wonder about going again (heads, hats, etc.).

• Like 2

The plane was cleared for a display on Saturday and a departure on Sunday. As there were thunderstorms predicted for Amberley, the departute was cancelled and they were not cleared by the US to perform a second display.