Canberra Balloon Spectacular

mnewbery

Second week in March every year, a bunch of people from all over the world come together to balloon over the nation's capital ... Then scarf massive amounts of caffeine, greasy food, champagne and sugar. 009_happy.gif.56d1e13d4ca35a447ad034f1ecf7aa58.gif

Yesterday suffered from low cloud and ground fog at the intended launch site.

Today saw a mass launch. Last day is 19th March but the weather might have other ideas

Canberra Balloon Spectacular

Search Twitter - #canberraballoonspectacular

Search Twitter - #balloonspectacular

It was almost me worth staying in Canberra this weekend but being a long weekend thought I had better come home to the family. Would have liked to have been there

• 11 months later...

Have a look at the twitter hashtag feed at the start of this thread for some more images from today. More images get uploaded every few minutes, if the weather is any good

I think the most spectacular ballooning I've ever seen was the 1988 Bi-centennial balloon race, across Australia. I was in Kalgoorlie at the time, and went out to the airport to watch them land.

It was just an amazing spectacle - possibly because modern ballooning was only just starting to hit its stride - and also because of the amount of all-out effort poured into the balloons.

I have some photos somewhere, but I can't find any of the event on the 'net.