1 dead, 1 injured following a powered parachute crash

The type involved flies an elliptical wing with a 2 point attachment which can stall. the common machine in Aus the Aerochute has a rectangular wing and 4 point attachment and cannot spin or stall but its not a sporty machine. No fatalities in this type in Aus been available for 30 years. We are now seeing some of this new type in this country requiring significantly more skill to operate.

• Like 1

Better safty record than anything you fly!

Perhaps you could educate those of us who don't have a horse in this race then? Personally, I find statements backed up by facts and evidence a lot more convincing than the old kindy slapdown.

Perhaps you could educate those of us who don't have a horse in this race then? Personally, I find statements backed up by facts and evidence a lot more convincing than the old kindy slapdown.

Did you not read Cosmics reply above? The internet is at your finger tips, do your own research. Start with wikipedia they have a good summary.

Better safty record than anything you fly!

To me, your comment has no meaning and is of no value to anyone!....What is " anything you fly?"

Frank.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

To me, your comment has no meaning and is of no value to anyone!....What is " anything you fly?"Frank.

Gee Frank, your lack of comprehension is evident yet your mouth is so big it speaks for everyone.

If you cannot understand my comment then I cannot help you.

• Haha 2
  • Caution 1

I`ve taken these points from, Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. For the whole article....Powered parachute - Wikipedia

Safety

PPCs are often considered to be safer than normal fixed-wing aircraft because of their inherent stability, limited response to control inputs, and stall resistance.

The power-off glide ratio of a powered parachute ranges from 3:1 to 6:1. Glide ratio varies depending on the chute size and shape, and the weight that the chute is carrying. Engine-off landings are generally safe, provided that the aircraft is within glide range of a suitable landing zone and the pilot is properly trained in the use of proper "flaring" technique.

Although possible, it is difficult to cause the aircraft to get into a dangerous attitude, stall, or chute collapse by means of pilot control inputs. Chute collapse is considered by many pilots to be virtually impossible with square wings. The wing is more likely to collapse with the more maneuverable, but inherently less stable, elliptical wing, but such collapses are normally followed by an immediate reflation and often go unnoticed by the pilot.

The main hazards one faces while flying a powered parachute are associated with wind and obstacles. Flight should not be attempted in winds exceeding 10–15 mph or in gusty conditions.

Frank.

• Agree 2

Them damn trees Frank have a lot to answer for

Taken many a pilot and many a automobile driver

But I guess the trees were there before the humans hit them so it's not the trees fault

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Regardless, they crashed into trees....That`s killed more than one pilot in more than one type of aircraft since I started flying.

Very true, it seems that the odd photo we see of an aircraft stuck up in a tree is very much the exception, the more likely scenario is getting tripped up by the top of a tree and being deposited nose first 150' straight down. That sort of thing tends to sting.On a lighter note, remember this brain surgeon? [MEDIA=liveleak]cf8_1437953280[/MEDIA]

I thought he was responding to this comment:

There are some who think powered parachutes are really safe but I think that might be wrong. (Teckair)

• Like 1

All flying is dangerous to some degree, it's the calculated risks that one must make personally, for me anything less than a full control aircraft is out of the question, too many variables IE Wx. For others it's the simplicity of such flying machines & cost. I value my life more, it's as simple as that:-)

The ppc's only does about 65 kmh,so turns on a dime,and the Aerochute has the best safety history I can find.

What is it about this form of flying that makes this type so misunderstood?

I thought he was responding to this comment:There are some who think powered parachutes are really safe but I think that might be wrong. (Teckair)

So did I, but the "my daddy's bigger than your daddy" response didn't add anything to the discussion, hence my invitation to contribute in some meaningful way. Being instructed to consult Wikipedia didn't really do it for me either to be honest.