My close call

[ATTACH=full]50601[/ATTACH]You might consider this modification to your plane. You will not have the problem you just had again.

A very interesting idea, I will discuss this with my L2 next time I see him. My aircraft is 55 registered, factory built, so may have to consult with Jabiru for compliance.

...Some new engines show particles that can come from machining of the original components and should have been removed by a process before assembly...

I know a ship's engineer who was aghast at learning Australia's two new Navy flat-tops were built in Spain.

That job hadn't been done in a new Spanish-built ship, so he had to drop anchor mid-ocean to repair the prop drive shaft bearings.

Why didn't I think of that? I gave up trying to find a magnetic oil bung- they used to be common.

It wasn't my idea, my L2 suggested it after a service and a filter cut showed what we determined to be remnants from a buggered sprag clutch.

So we taped a magnet to the filter and ran it for 5 hours and found no problems.

Then we redid it and ran it for 20 hours and again found no problems.

It was an interesting exercise and like most things since starting my flying journey it has been a learning experience.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1