Gearbox Pin Required

boleropilot

G'day All,

I want to have a peek at the sprag clutch in an E gearbox that I don't have any history on.

To get to the clutch I need a pin, part number 876-640. Apparently the pin comes in the tool kit with every new Rotax motor - it is inserted into the pulse port to prevent crank rotation when removing the small drive gear situated inside one of the shafts. My CPS info (Part#55 - C and E Gearbox Maintenance) tells me that using any other kind of pin can have disastrous results.

It's only a $5 buy but I thought if someone has one laying around they could help me out here, otherwise I will order one from young Bert.

cheers for now

BP

Use a good quality pin punch (Tough but wont shatter) and some "feel", if you feel the pin distorting, stop what you are doing and get a better pin.

• 5 months later...

I came across an interesting method of preventing crankshaft rotation, in a video about Rotax gearbox overhauls. The method is apparently used when certain tightening/loosening of bolts using the pin method could result in some degree of twisting of the crankshaft etc.

The method is to place one piston at bottom dead centre and then feed in a length of soft fibre rope through a spark plug hole (obviously with enough hanging out so the rope can be retrieved). Apparently the crankshaft can then be rotated and the piston will raise up the bore and not be able to reach TDC because of the compression of the rope, and the bolt will 'click' and loosen. The system is supposed to be able to be used for tighten and loosen.

I would really like to hear from anyone who has used this method, plus any comments from anyone who has anything to say in relation to the method.

BP

G'day All,I want to have a peek at the sprag clutch in an E gearbox that I don't have any history on.

To get to the clutch I need a pin, part number 876-640. Apparently the pin comes in the tool kit with every new Rotax motor - it is inserted into the pulse port to prevent crank rotation when removing the small drive gear situated inside one of the shafts. My CPS info (Part#55 - C and E Gearbox Maintenance) tells me that using any other kind of pin can have disastrous results.

It's only a $5 buy but I thought if someone has one laying around they could help me out here, otherwise I will order one from young Bert.

cheers for now

BP

Check in your orange tool kit. Usualy one there. I found one there after buying one from floods.

G'day All,I want to have a peek at the sprag clutch in an E gearbox that I don't have any history on.

cheers for now

BP

I have a spare pin you can have. PM me and I'll send it to you.

JG