Mackay

Just had a look on the charts, there seems to be quite a few privately owned ALA's in the vicinity. The closest non-controlled airports seem to be Proserpine and Bowen further north.

ok i was looking on google earth and found this. Google Mapsit's hard to spot in the area with all the crops

That is Ball Bay (YA2196), a private unlicensed strip. If you want to go there, contact the operator, Bob Smith on 0428185194 or 07 49427768 (email: [email protected]). I got that info on AOPA

That overhead wire visible just before they started rolling in the first video looks interesting. You wouldn't want to be coming into land on that runway.

Yes. I wouldn't recommend flying into Palmyra without a thorough briefing.

you're right i thought the dragstrip was the runway. But after a second take what look like is a taxiway is a runway.

Yep, my first thoughts were the same, I thought it was a taxiway, but it has what appear to be extensions, why would a taxiway have them? I also thought it was too narrow, but have you ever landed at Pittsworth? Its width almost the width of a cricket pitch!

I flew a Lightwing and landed it there during my XC training last year, it was just wide enough to fit the mains on the runway. Well that was my impression on the day.

I still haven't done my XC endorsement. And want it done this year. I did my GA training at YMPC before moving over to RA flying and the runway at YMPC was so wide you could land and takeoff in formation.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Palmyra is fine to go into, just make sure the drags are not on. Runway looks pretty skinny when you're on final, but its charcter building. When you then go to a 'proper' airport, you are spoilt ;)

That overhead wire visible just before they started rolling in the first video looks interesting. You wouldn't want to be coming into land on that runway.

The C210 landing was on that runway. Over the wires...not under.

• Informative 1

• 3 months later...

already sent Hongie a request for info on airfields near Mackay for an upcoming 'safari', a bunch of 60 knotters from Boonah to Cooktown via coast and back inland -

any advice re. flying in that necka much appreciated guys

BP

already sent Hongie a request for info on airfields near Mackay for an upcoming 'safari', a bunch of 60 knotters from Boonah to Cooktown via coast and back inland -any advice re. flying in that necka much appreciated guys

BP

Hi Mate, I have no new messages?