Wanted: 44 Gal drums - inner Sydney.

Folks, sorry for the short notice, but I have been tasked to help get a couple of old (used) 44 Gal drums.

Needed to make a big BBQ by 10 June.

I was wondering if anyone at Bankstown would have any "lying around".

Prepared to pick up.

Anyone please?

If ye smart enuf you should invite said 44G drum donators to the BBQ with free booze, if they are pilots you'll get flooded with offers!....lolol:-)

Yeah, well it is for Scouts and they are having a "shin dig" in a couple of weeks. I am sure a BBQ could be organised, but it is not in my area of power.

I am but a "lemming" asked to find some.

But it is possible it could be done.

If you weren't a little closer I could've help you out as being a beekeeper and in the honey industry there was a change from the 44's to IBC's containers many years ago which left me with about 80 drums I had no use for. Still got a few drums kicking around.

If you weren't a little closer I could've help you out as being a beekeeper and in the honey industry there was a change from the 44's to IBC's containers many years ago which left me with about 80 drums I had no use for. Still got a few drums kicking around.

Yeah, just a bit too far away.

But thanks.

Safety and Health Warning - If you plan to cut open those 44 gallon drums, remember to NEVER use a gas axe, an angle grinder, or any tool that could create a spark of any kind.

This approach still applies even if you consider the drum safe and free from explosive vapours, or even if you're sure it's never had any volatile liquids in it. Simple lubricating oil vapours can be explosive, too.

The only tools to use cutting open a 44 gallon drum are a hammer and chisel (a sharp axe being hammered, will work, too), or an air chisel with a v-notched, metal cutting bit (the preferred method).

I have personally known several people very badly injured, by drums exploding whilst being cut open - and two fatalities.

A sizeable percentage of those people injured and killed, were of "mature age", and should have known better.