Experimental 707

I just watched Mighty Planes on tv and noticed that the 707 aircraft flown by Omega was labelled in large letters at the front door as EXPERIMENTAL. Just how big can experimental be? The aircraft was conducting inflight refuelling with the marines on training missions.

Anything that isn't fully type certified are registered experimental(or restricted).

Experimental has many sub cetergories, amatuer built is only one. Boeing often fly their new development aircraft on an experimental certificate during development.

It doesn't have to be a full new aircraft to go on an experimental certificate. It might just be the engine or a component that is undergoing testing.

The experimental marking in the instance might relate to the refuling system.

• Like 1

I am happy to be proven wrong but I think that the space shuttle was a "state aircraft" ie the same as millitary and so doesn't have to meet the civil rules. The private mobs like spacex and scaled composites are civil registered and so do have an experimental certificate of airworthiness.

When I first met my future wife she was classed as 'experimental' until all of her performance requirements were met..She is now 'certified' for life. Yippee! 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Alan.

First of type?

• Haha 2

I just watched Mighty Planes on tv and noticed that the 707 aircraft flown by Omega was labelled in large letters at the front door as EXPERIMENTAL. Just how big can experimental be? The aircraft was conducting inflight refuelling with the marines on training missions.

My understanding is that because it was a military aircraft, it has been operated under different maintenance regimes, as well as the modifications may not meet civilian standard. To operate it on the civilian register it will then need to be "experimental" as a warbird.

Australia has a similar way of doing things and the Defence force is changing over to a different system to keep CASA happy in the future (my take on it), Which seems utterly ridiculous, as military maintenance regimes are much tighter (to my knowledge).

• Agree 1