CARF Models 'Galloping Ghost' P-51 Reno Racer/Kolm 3 cylinder 230cc inline engine

dominicm

Watch and listen to this magnificent P-51 Reno Racer. This model is fitted out with a Kolm 3 cylinder 230cc inline engine. Piloted by Andreas Gietz of CARF Models.

• Like 2

That's an incredible piece of workmanship, these RC blokes must all be obsessive to the point of medical confirmation. They spend as much on their RC aircraft as other people do on full size ones!

That beautiful little donk is 4,550 Euros! I also hate to think, how many hours went into that P-51's construction.

Kolm IL-230V3-3, 3-cylinder Inline four-stroke petrol engine

Sadly, for me and probably many others, the mention of Galloping Ghost only brings back immediately, memories of the worst Reno crash, with the most fatalities and injuries, in the most disastrous event in the history of air racing.

• Agree 2

The name "Galloping Ghost" reminds me of the first radio control system I built, using acorn valves from WW2 walkie-talkies purchased from government disposal stores.

For those not as old as me, who'd like a quick history lesson,it was a "rudder only" system where the rudder was constantly flapping a bit in the neutral position. By moving the control stick left or right, the mark-space ratio was altered so the rudder flapped mainly to the left, or to the right. It was primitive, but worked reasonably well on the old slow-moving models. Then along came the transistors which made things a lot better.

I was young and very fit in those days due to partly to all the running I did. Fly-away's were pretty common back then.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1