Darwin aviation museum

I just today got back from a week away visiting my daughter who lives in Katherine, yesterday to fill in the day I dropped into the aviation museum in Darwin, and all I can say is if you have a slight interest in aviation you must visit this place if your in the area, a very well set out and very reasonable priced display of near every type of aircraft, from an actual B52 bomber to a F111 to the earliest ultralights, a gyro, and a whole heap more, motors of near every type made, simply brilliant.

I am interested in aviation but I thought I am not the museum type, thought 15-20 mins tops well about 2.5 hrs latter I had to go to other commitments, also stumbled onto I think it was called East piont, there is a stack of military stuff there also, I really enjoyed the day, must be getting an old fart I guess, but it is amazing the things that happened in 1942 to keep our life style as we know it now.

To all those who gave and to those who continue to give, thank you, I for one do appreciate it

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

I just today got back from a week away visiting my daughter who lives in Katherine, yesterday to fill in the day I dropped into the aviation museum in Darwin, and all I can say is if you have a slight interest in aviation you must visit this place if your in the area, a very well set out and very reasonable priced display of near every type of aircraft, from an actual B52 bomber to a F111 to the earliest ultralights, a gyro, and a whole heap more, motors of near every type made, simply brilliant.I am interested in aviation but I thought I am not the museum type, thought 15-20 mins tops well about 2.5 hrs latter I had to go to other commitments, also stumbled onto I think it was called East piont, there is a stack of military stuff there also, I really enjoyed the day, must be getting an old fart I guess, but it is amazing the things that happened in 1942 to keep our life style as we know it now.

To all those who gave and to those who continue to give, thank you, I for one do appreciate it

It is a great place Bones!

I also popped into the museum a few years ago and was impressed by the variety of aircraft on display. The B52 is very imposing: they had to drain wetlands, place 'fill' into it to wheel the B52 across to the museum site, remove the 'fill' and then fill the wetlands with water afterwards. This is quite a mission. It required a signed Presidential Order to allow a B52 to be on display outside of the United States. This B52 is the only such example.

The very first model plane that I ever built, aged 11, was an Auster Autocar. There was one at that museum. It was flown by a Salvation Army padre for many years who "went the extra mile" to visit very remote stations in the top end bringing practical help and the gospel for many decades. All this in his trusty Autocar which clocked up thousands of hours. Eventually, the Auster had to be retired so the museum snapped it up as it is significant part of the NT history. There were some nice examples of AUF-style aircraft there too.

My two daughters and my wife thought they got the better end of the bargain because they went shopping for a couple of hours while I only went to the aircraft museum. I know who got the best deal. 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Another great place to visit is the old Qantas hangar at Parap. It stands on the site of Darwin's first civil aerodrome at Parap. Ross Smith Avenue is in fact the the original runway on which Ross and Keith Smith landed in December 1919 when they won the first England to Australia air contest and a $10,0. At I believe, MacDonald St it is now the home of a car restorers group. It will fill hours for you.

• Informative 1

Plenty of aviation history and sights to see in Darwin and environs Bones. Many of the early pioneering flights had to stop in here for their island-hopping adventures so there's all types of plaques and displays scattered about. We live on a curved road which was originally a taxiway for the Parap runway in WW2. Great for aviation buffs to enjoy and for those like me who just like discovering a bit of local history.

Nice time of the year to get around. Enjoy!

It is a great place Bones!clipped

It required a signed Presidential Order to allow a B52 to be on display outside of the United States. This B52 is the only such example.

Not quite:

IWM Duxford, Cambridgshire UK

upload_2017-7-5_21-56-35.jpeg.52aea8c983ebee05d82f7b812d34740a.jpeg