Two sunbathers killed in beach landing - Portugal

Sunbathers killed after plane makes emergency landing on beach near LisbonAn eight-year-old girl and 50-year-old man have been killed after a plane crash landed on a beach near Lisbon, according to local media reports. Eyewitnesses…

INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

There's an existing thread about this... Why we need sirens, hooters...

I've just had a two hour conversation on BookFace about this one Marty . . . .plenty of armchair warriors giving it large about what a cnut the pilot was,. . .Hang on,. . .he was a Student pilot with an Instructor in charge. . . .I won't go through all the arguments, some of them from 'Alleged Pilots' . . .but it seems that the armchair warriors have sentenced this instructor to death for landing on a beach. . . . NOW. . . . WHY HE WAS FLYING SO LOW that he had to land on the beach is another story entirely. . . .

Every Pilot I know just LOVES to fly low along a beach. . . . .I'm sure that we've all done this at one time or another. . but usually along a deserted beach. . .Doing this on a crowded beach is called 'Showing Off' . . .'Look at me. . .I've got a Plane. . .and you haven't. . . GREAT. . .until something goes wrong. . .seen it dozens of times. . . .Last year, Angie and I were standing on a clifftop on the Northern end of the Isle of Wight after a really great walk,. . when we saw a formation of five Flexwings ( Trikes ) flying around 'The Needles' ( google it )at a level that, with my vast experience of aviation ( ! ) I would guess was around 20 to 30 feet above the seawater. . .with absolutey Nowhere to go in the event of a problem. . . .

This is, I am sure exciting, and makes for great videos to send to the British Microlight Aircraft Association Best Picture / video competition, . . .but Clever,. . .it Isn't.

I used to fly 'Shark Patrol' around Port Philip Bay using an Auster based at Moorrabbin. . ., fitted with a Klaxon. . .this was back in 1975. . .I only fired off the hooter twice, when I saw a couple of REALLY LARGE sharks getting a a bit close to to the beach near Frankston, and later St' Kilda. . . .no one seemed to take a blind bit of notice, even when I got down really low and kept on blasting the klaxon. . .silly buggers in the water just waved at me. . .. .. but the Surf rescue guys did, gawd bless 'em. . . .they got everyone out of the water sharpish. . ..

• Like 1

I did some in the late 64 -65 period near Newcastle NSW. Stockton to Caves beach. WE used to drop a length of dunny paper when a shark was around but the board riders never took much notice. The radio station had their own commentator on board relaying directly to the station. You would usually see them The Noah's, if they were there from about 400' flying above the shallow water. You could even make out which type they were most times.

I did sit STILL into wind with a bit of flap out on one occasion, distracting many from watching the surf carnival till they told me to go away.

PS. This is a day old.. Just noticed it sitting there. Nev

I used to fly 'Shark Patrol' around Port Philip Bay using an Auster based at Moorrabbin. . ., fitted with a Klaxon. . .this was back in 1975. . .I only fired off the hooter twice,

I grew up in Mornington often seeing the Auster, then of course later the famous 3DB "Flying Tadpole" (Replublican SeeBee).

We were told to watch for circling meaning a shark. We mostly jumped off the Pier and the Jetty though, the darker water and all the boats would have made seeing a shark difficult.

Ah yes, the 3DB Seabee. . . memories . . . . .Someone told me that one day, it's pilot braked a little too energetically whilst taxying at Moorabbin and briefly stood it on it's nose !

I liked the thought at bottom in red Phil.....but many times its the pilots fault of allowing the machine to kill them.

Yes Mr. Callaghan SIr. . . .that would be 'Philz' bizzare / sarc humour . . . with a bit of irony added,. . although I should add Aluminumy, iron is a tad heavy for most flying purposes. . . .004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif