Jabiru 240 damage repair

Pindan

I have to admit to a hankering to build a matched-hole metal kit, but I do think glass is more repairable.

At Gawler, we had almost identical mishaps with a Jabiru and a Technam. They both lost a uc leg on being wheeled out the hangar, and they both fell onto a wing.

Result: No damage to the Jab wing, a crease in the Technam wing which needed a new wing from Italy.

With glass, if you have access to another plane from the same moulds, you can make a moulding and splice it in. My Libelle has a new nose done like this. So why am I thinking of metal? Because after 40 years I am tired of working with such sticky dusty stuff.

• Like 1

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to admit to a hankering to build a matched-hole metal kit, but I do think glass is more repairable.At Gawler, we had almost identical mishaps with a Jabiru and a Technam. They both lost a uc leg on being wheeled out the hangar, and they both fell onto a wing.

Result: No damage to the Jab wing, a crease in the Technam wing which needed a new wing from Italy.

With glass, if you have access to another plane from the same moulds, you can make a moulding and splice it in. My Libelle has a new nose done like this. So why am I thinking of metal? Because after 40 years I am tired of working with such sticky dusty stuff.

Yes, I must admit that in all of my working life as a LAME I never minded getting greasy or dirty but I HATED getting sticky and itchy working with glass and resin! I still think it is easier to repair metal airframe than glass, but that might just be because it is within my expertise.

• Like 1