Please select your preferred Search function

Admin

What is your search preference  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What is your search preference

• As it is now defaulting to where you are
    • Defaulting to everywhere requiring you to make 2 clicks to search specifically

Currently the site uses a search function that uses "smarts" in knowing where you are on the site and defaults to searching that area whilst giving you the option of searching everywhere by some clicks. The forum software developers have decided to reverse that and default the search to everywhere requiring you to make 2 clicks if you wish to refine your search.

I need to know, as the site users, what is your preference when wishing to search as being able to efficiently search is one big thing that differentiates the abilities of a forum to social media.

As it is now:

When you are not in a thread the default is search everywhere but also provides a date from feature:

4.jpg.9218d55076e356f1261ae4819e942296.jpg

when you are for example viewing a thread the search uses "smarts":

1.jpg.be8e7cd64cfc0530966f6242c9f27540.jpg

The default is to search the specific forum. If you wish to search everywhere you just need to make one click by unchecking the "Search this forum checkbox". Also currently you have the option of searching by a date from as well.

What is being proposed by the software people in the same scenario:

2.jpg.83b966b81e54ac96341a12b810711a04.jpg

The default is everywhere no matter whether you are in a thread or not however if you wish to search in the specific forum or thread you need to first click the everywhere box:

3.jpg.19bb00079f8cf90beaa0d16359278938.jpg

and then click again the "This Forum" option (making it 2 clicks) before you can search as you can now. The search function of from a date is also no longer provided unless you go to the Advanced Search

So please, as users of the site tell me what you want to have...as always thanks for your help in designing and creating YOUR site

I prefer 'Everywhere' as I have usually exhausted a single forum title scan before I search.

I would also like to search on a date range (between this and that), or "older than". The only option is "newer than". I find some things I am looking for are not in the forum I expected (or remembered them) to be in. Eg trying to find an old accident which might be in Warbirds or General rather than in Accidents where it should belong, or just because of thread drift.

What happens if I don't tick a box Ian?I only read what's new posts . Not interested in what happened yesterday or before .

Bernie.

Bernie, you get the new posts when you hit the button "New".

"Search" is a separate box where you put in word(s) to search for. People use it for a number of reasons -

to find all the posts on a subject eg "climbing turn stall" before starting a new thread to ask the same question, to look up the history of an aircraft, find similar accidents (C.210 inflight break-ups), go back to an interesting thread posted some 1-2 years ago that emerged in thread drift etc. I use it frequently, but as the site is getting bigger, that amusing / informative post gets harder to find.

The new style gives me all the search options in one box all the time - simple. Currently there are two different boxes depending on where you are. As I don't use the search function often, I like the simplicity and consistency of the proposed change.

rgmwa

One thing to consider is the term "Everywhere" will have to be changed as "Everywhere" is not "Everywhere" in that it is only everywhere in the Forums, Media and Resources sections. The other sections have their own independent searches as the site is built from many different components. When you are in such site component clicking search is only searching that component. What I am doing with the specific area search function is to unify it across the whole site

So "Everywhere" will have to be changed so as not to mislead you. I know it is a bit stupid of the forum software developers to not consider that sites are made up of not just their software and I have tried arguing with them about this till the cows come home but they have an "I am great" attitude.

• Like 1

I don't "hit" the new button to come here my computer opens up on this page (I only use my computer not phone)

I never log out .

Have never used a search button .

Just trying to find out if all that will change .

Bernie .