Some Pics on the Anniversary of Armistice day.

C4F86C71-A1C3-45FA-8B3F-CAD889D17D12.jpeg.1c33b6708a2b3d9ddb9ec37dce4ae913.jpeg

My great uncle, Lt. Alec Wald MC (AIF Egypt/Gallipoli then RFC/RAF), after his F2b Bristol Fighter crash on 05th August 1918. He died a few weeks later in the crash of his Fe2b (pusher). He didn’t quite make Armistice Day. I would have loved to have met him, but I feel I know him through his diary and photo collection.

• Like 6

A photo just sent to me today from Newcastle, England of Alec Wald’s grave, taken on Armistice day this year.

997FD489-4C44-4B0F-B434-4EA2C9995F9D.jpeg.8340f47ce3117121e0074ab533d3fc03.jpeg

He still has folks paying their respects each year. The local primary school has for the last few years had their junior primary classes visit his grave where the teacher tells his story. The children then have a project to either draft a poem or draw a picture about some aspect of his story. I have been sent some very nice photos/poems by the school. The favourite drawing is of his aircraft flying under the Tyne Bridge in Newcastle which he did in July 1918. There is also a display in a local hall about him each Rememberance Day and he has quite a following in the local area. My family appreciates the interest of the locals in a boy that is buried such a long way from home.

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

Below is a fascinating section, taken from the '14-'18 Journal, relaying the stories of night-bombing by 100 Squadron, using the Fe2b. Lt Alexander Wald MC, gets a mention.

Sad to hear that he endured so much on the battlefield, and survived 34 raids virtually unscathed - but was killed on British soil, in an accident.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi02-Dt4b3XAhVLUbwKHWMsA_QQFggoMAA&url=http://ww1aero.org.au/pdfs/Sample%20Journal%20Articles/Night%20Bombing%20with%20the%20FE2b.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2gr3cNjVnp7U9ObUGZKHsJ

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Interesting photos, but the text! Photo captions for the blind. They appear to have been written by the same person who perpetrated those accompanying the Vampire article a couple of weeks ago; also from The Mail Online.