VL3 fast ultralight

johnm

There was some shonky stuff going on about 10 yrs ago where importers were getting 600kg rego on their aircraft and when casa did an audit on raa, found they were not really certified for 600.I believe a manufacturer can say they are structurally sound at 600 but if there is no certification then it is invalid for raa rego, or something like that.

The Allegro aircraft had their weights reduced and I think some 24 rego aircraft had to go to 19.

As a side note, the Allegro had it's MTOW briefly reduced to 450kgs and then later lifted approval to 520kgs

I didn't see the bits about the luggage filled with helium. I think that you could achieve some of the performance specs but not that landing speed with that top speed. I think a laminar flow canard made using carbon fiber and nylon printed items could be possible. 200kts with 50mph landing I believe is possible. A design I may look at someday when I finish my current project.

The ones in South Africa marketed as the VL3 Flamingo had their Vne reduced from 165kts to 145 kts.

There was a fatal accident in 2010 where one of them pretty much disintegrated in flight. There is a fair bit of debate as to their actual airspeed at the time, but their last recorded GPS ground speed was 193kts.

• 2 months later...

I am not sure why I "buy in" to this sort of fantasy debat, but here goes;

"

The only performance figures that can be relied upon are those generated or certified by "INDEPENDENT" third parties.

As far as I know, the fastest Rotax 912 (100 hp) powered aircraft, to be so validated, is Robin Austins Soneri VH-SGS (World Record Holder) & it/he never achieved the fantastic figures bandied about in this debate.