Restoration update

Gregory

I'll take some photos of my tail wheel tomorrow so you can see how the cables are attached on mine.Andrew

Cheers Andrew,

Is it best to have the tail wheel attatched to the rudder , as ive had people tell me to just let it " free wheel" ? It was a free wheel system when i bought it !

Cheers Andrew,Is it best to have the tail wheel attatched to the rudder , as ive had people tell me to just let it " free wheel" ? It was a free wheel system when i bought it !

In my opinion you should have it connected to the rudder cables.

20171217_085909.jpg.75c8e4ae224dc777e74241bd0748a3d2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I`ve had the Austflight pneumatic tail wheel since the modification, from them, first came out, many years ago... I have it connected to the rudder cables but I have the cables to the wheel further up the cables to the rudder than in Kiwi`s photo... I also took the springs out, for a couple of reasons, many years ago, however, i`m not suggesting others do as I`ve done.

Keep in mind, even with the springs, the cables to the wheel need to be the correct length, if too short, the wheel will turn before the rudder, if too long the rudder will turn and the wheel may not turn at all, or, while on the ground, the wheel may turn in the opposite direction and it doesn't take much for a novice pilot to lose control.

On take off, once the wheel comes up off the ground, if the cables to the wheel are too short, you will still feel pressure on the rudder pedals but you may not be getting the rudder input you think you are, which could cause, runway loss of control.

Frank.

• Like 2

In my opinion you should have it connected to the rudder cables.[ATTACH=full]53111[/ATTACH]

My tail wheel cables are attached further up the rudder cables than Kiwi's, 16.5" .

His are a fair bit shorter, but both aircraft feel the same on the ground.

• Like 1

If using springs, to get maximum steerage from the wheel, the cables to the springs need to have enough tension on the springs so that when the rudder is being used the springs have enough tension on wheel assembly to make it turn.

To see if it`s all working correctly you really need to have the wheel off the ground and the easiest way to do this is to use a jack under the fuselage tube. Put something between the jack and the tube so you don`t damage the tube then once the wheel is off ground, keep the rudder straight in line with the verticle fin and apply equal pressure to both rudder pedals, the rudder cables will be tight and the cables to the springs should also be tight, with the springs pulling firmly on the wheel assembly now move the rudder left and right with the pedals and the rudder and wheel should be turning together.

Frank.

• Like 1

In my opinion you should have it connected to the rudder cables.[ATTACH=full]53111[/ATTACH]

I agree that they should be attached to the rudder cables. I don't like to be a wet blanket but thought you should know that this method of connecting them is well documented as being a rather bad idea. The angular load imposed by the tailwheel is constantly 'working' the cable at the swage and stainless absolutely hates that, it work hardens and then strands start to break. The problem is that the first strands to break are near the centre of the cable, so by the time you can see a few broken ones on the surface, the cable is just about to let go.

Notwithstanding that, I'm well aware that some Drifters and other types were set up this way originally, and many of them have cables that have lasted for many years. The problem is that there isn't a proper program for replacement of the cables on an hours/years basis. Even that wouldn't properly answer the issue because aircraft operating off rough strips would be working the cables harder than those flying off a smooth one.

If you really wanted to do the job properly the rudder cables should be terminated to a thimble where the steering cables are to be joined in, and then two cables joined to each thimble at that point, one going to the rudder and one going to the tailwheel. They could be joined with a small shackle which would allow replacing the extension cables with ones of differing lengths until you got it 'just right'.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...