Plain English Weather Converter

Pilatus B4

Plain English weather has worked well for years for me.

Now I cannot get the translate button to work.

Comes up with this code -Fatal error: Cannot use "parent" when no class scope is active in /home/rfcom/public_html/pemet/arfor_class.php on line 827

Any one else have this problem.

Thanks

Ron

There are also free Apps to provide Metar & Taf forecasts in plain English on your phone. I use one called Avia Weather & you can set it up for as many aerodromes as you like. The raw data is also available.

There are also free Apps to provide Metar & Taf forecasts in plain English on your phone. I use one called Avia Weather & you can set it up for as many aerodromes as you like. The raw data is also available.

Also, If you run AvPlan, that’s also in plain English

• Agree 1

Always wondered why weather reports had to be in code. . .OK, we had the famous 'Q' codes for use with CW ( Morse ) transmission in the early days, but with these days of high speed, digital packet and RELIABLE real time radio communications, what the heck is wrong with giving an airfield Metar / Taf in plain English ?

RPT arrivals could easily be sent, via digital packet comms, an ATIS report, printed out on the Cockpit display, including whether it was a standard instrument approach or whatever . . . EVEN AN AUTO-TRANSLATED REPORT FOR ALL THESE BLOODY FOREIGNERS. . .so all they need do is notify receipt of information 'Bravo' Etc., and that saves even more time and strife dunnit ?

Does it waste that much valuable Computer / radio airtime ? It was kept for Teleprinter comms, and this is understandable, and 45.45 / 50 Baudot AFTN terminal transmit speed wasn't exactly Fast, but with modern digital tech now universally available, surely Metars / Tafs in CODE ought, by now, to be consigned to the dustbin of history. I hope it continues to go that way. . . . we dumped morse code and teleprinters for promulgation of Flight regularity / WX messages a while ago . . . .

At our little toy airfield, we normally don't bother with 'QFE' reports to incoming flights, even though short distance trips often originate from even localish UK airfields with wildly varying elevation figures. . .. . .since 'Surface Pressure' is only one syllable more than 'Queue Eff Eeeee' innit ?. . . .Moreover, it does not confuse any 'Newbie' pilots of incoming aircraft. . . .Even the Yanks have used 'Al -Timm etter' for decades. . .and that's just ONE example of unnecessary 'Coding' of information . . . It's almost as if some people want to keep certain procedures a 'Masonic' style secret from 'Outsiders'

They wouldn't wanna do that really,. . .would they ? ?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

In my missive above,. . .I ought to have added that my Local Airport Birmgham Intl. ( EGBB ) has regular problems woith foreign pilots whose command of the 'International language of the air' is not so good. You will probably not read anything about this in any MSM as the CAA and the airport authorities obviously do not wish to worry potential and regular passengers using the site. ATC Officers are bound by contract to secrecy of course. . . .

My home is almost directly beneath the approach to Runway 15 at B'ham, range 25 NM. . . although I have a well elevated antenna which easily picks up aircraft on an approach to Rwy 33 as well, and when I am tatting about in my shack, I regularly monitor 118.05 ( Brum Approach / Radar) just to see what's going on. . .

Some of the traffic I hear is hilarious. With my home made 8 element yagi Beam antenna, I can listen to the Tower and Surface movement control as well. . .this is how I expected a call from the maintenance dept after hearing about an Etihad Airbus A380 turning of the runway prematurely, and smashing to bits another one of my taxiway signs a few weeks back. . .I listened to the conversation between the pilots and the tower.. . . .

When the Maintenance guy phoned me, ( I've got to know him quite well now ) I replied " Yeah, Nigel, I heard. . .which one do you want replaced ?". . .he seemed very surprised that I knew about it. . .*Giggle* . . .I pretended to know little and when I asked which airline,. .. he just said Sodding Arabs again. . . . should stick to camels. Ngele the Maintenance manager is a Nigerian so it's OK for him to make racist comments I gather. . . . ( ! ) I named him 'Nigel' as it's a nice 'Inglish' name. .. and he's quite happy about it too. . .Nice bloke with a gorgeous wife, but we won't go into that. . .

Were you ever a lecherer at Oxford..? I reckon if you hadn't killed off half your brain cells with alcohol you would've been a genius (Truly) Nev

Only HALF my brain cells Nev ? . . . .you are Too kind Sir. . .001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif