Dashware - Anyone have any experience?

BirdDog

No - They are all standard GoPro footage in 720 and 1080.

What happens is this...

If I use Quik, they work. The gauges are crappy, but they work.

So I try to use Dashware, following the tutorials, and it fails. If I use the "Quick Project" it imports the video, and the gauges look like they are there, but no data, and not all gauges. If I start a new project and then go to import a video file, I get an error stating No Data Extracted.

For a company the size of GoPro, the lack of support is amazing! Might be time to dump GoPro and hit up a Garmin Virb.

I use Dashware with my flights, but i don't have a gopro.

I cludge all my sources of data together from my Contour ROAM camera, Garming VivoactiveHR and external weather data to get it all together in Dashware.

I'm quite pleased with the flexibility of Dashware, but there are some shortcomings that seem to hard to get fixed.

Happy to try and help if you have any specific questions, but i don't have any experience with GoPros or what data they have.

• Like 1

Hi Tyson,

Yeah - I am thinking of finding another way to capture data, as the GoPro is proving problematic. Even in their own software Quik, it gets out of sync etc. So might have to do some research.

BirdDog:

I'm guessing that the Hero5 has an inbuilt GPS??? If that is the case, try experimenting with the settings. Also, I'm guessing that the camera stores the GPS data in a separate file to the video files. Most of these files are text based. There is a program called GPS Babel that will convert GPS files (usually some form of GPX) to just about any other format.

Instead of using the default settings in Dashware, try importing the video and GPS data separately.

HTH

Hi Scott,

Yeah man - Been there and done all that. Following Dashware's own tutorials, it fails. GoPro actually stores the data INSIDE the video file, and Dashware is supposed to extract it - yet it doesn't.

It's driving me mad!

For a company the size of GoPro, the lack of support is amazing! Might be time to dump GoPro and hit up a Garmin Virb.

Hang in there puddy cat, GoPro acquired Dashware from the original developers (or from whoever acquired it from them). I have been in contact with the GoPro support people on a number of occasions and found them very helpful. Stick with it. Their documentation (last time I checked) was still the crap the original developers produced. I mentioned to them about it and the support person I dealt with was like "Yeah, we know and we're working our way through that".

Dashware is an amazing program, which can be extensively customised and tailored to your needs.

I have a fair bit of experience with it and can help if you give some more info about the problems you're having.

Hi Scott,Yeah man - Been there and done all that. Following Dashware's own tutorials, it fails. GoPro actually stores the data INSIDE the video file, and Dashware is supposed to extract it - yet it doesn't.

It's driving me mad!

Eeww, I wasn't aware of that... That could be a bit tricky. Can you send me a short video clip that has the GPS data in it? Just take the camera outside, and shoot about 10-20 seconds of footage after the GPS has locked the satellites. (I'm assuming the camera shows you when it has lock???)

Thanks man...

OK... Basically here is it in a nutshell....

I know the DATA is good - In Quik, it works fine. If I try to load it up in Dashware, it loads the video file, but no data.

I have followed Dashwares tutorial. The one that states to start with "Quick Project" It load the video file, and the tutorial states it should punch out a CSV file - but that does not happen.

If I try and start a new project and load the video file, I get an error stating "No Data Extracted"

Not sure what else I can tell you. I have spent probably 3 hours on it, and I am no numpty - I know what I am doing. Tried a dozen or so files - same result.

If you are not sure what Quik is - Telemetry and GPS Add New Layers to Your GoPro Story

OK, I'm a bit behind with this. I'm not sure how GoPro store the GPS data in the video files. I wasn't aware that mpegs allowed for that kind of data. Are GoPro using a different file format now?

A fallback position if you can't get Dashware to read the GoPro GPS data is to use the tracks from your aircraft GPS (if that is available). That is how I do it when I use Dashware.

Sorry, I just assumed that you might have been a newbie with this stuff. When you say you didn't get a response from GoPro, was that from their forums or direct tech support? I had pretty good support from their tech guy.

Yeah - It stores the data in the MP4. If you load just that file into Quik - it will display all the telemetry nicely.

I have a Garmin Aera500 on the Dash - Might look into that I think! :)

Thanks - I didn't even think of that.

Cheers

John

John:

Yeah, I think you'll have more success with the Garmin files. The downside is synchronizing the data to the video. In your case, since the GP5 has an internal GPS, the files will likely be accurately timestamped and will sync with the Garmin data easily. In my case, if I forget to set the date/time in my GP3s, I have to synch the video and GPS data manually and Dashware doesn't make doing that precisely, very easy.

John:Yeah, I think you'll have more success with the Garmin files. The downside is synchronizing the data to the video. In your case, since the GP5 has an internal GPS, the files will likely be accurately timestamped and will sync with the Garmin data easily. In my case, if I forget to set the date/time in my GP3s, I have to synch the video and GPS data manually and Dashware doesn't make doing that precisely, very easy.

Yep! My plan would be to create an overlay video of the gauges, and manually sync. I have advanced post production skills, so that should be the easy bit. I might make a trip to the AD today and see what data is being stored on the Aera500. It may be my solution. :) I have read the manual and apparently as soon as you are travelling more than 30kts it starts recording data.

• Like 1

Yep! My plan would be to create an overlay video of the gauges, and manually sync. I have advanced post production skills, so that should be the easy bit. I might make a trip to the AD today and see what data is being stored on the Aera500. It may be my solution. :) I have read the manual and apparently as soon as you are travelling more than 30kts it starts recording data.

John:

I tried doing the overlay thing with chroma keying, with mixed results. In the end it was easier to do it all in Dashware. If DW can read the video in your GP files, then you can import the GPS data separately. The best thing about DW is the ability to create your own gauges. When you look into how it digests the GPS data it is quite comprehensive. You can create extra calculated fields from the data your GPS generates and then use those calculated fields in your own gauges. I haven't yet got a full handle on how it interpolates between GPS data points to get frame-by-frame data to fill the gauges. There appears to be some lag in some of the calculated values that I'm still working through. But all in all, DW is a really useful program. Here's a snap of a custom gauge I made.

Altitude.jpg.ec0685b52a1dd84e5e329d97ed47c9c5.jpg

Yeah nice! I absolutely will be using DW. I just thought if I do an overlay, I can sync it myself etc.

Looking forward to playing with it. I am hoping it can read my data from my Garmin.

Yeah nice! I absolutely will be using DW. I just thought if I do an overlay, I can sync it myself etc.Looking forward to playing with it. I am hoping it can read my data from my Garmin.

Going the overlay route wasn't the answer for me. I start my GPs before takeoff and just let them run. So to do the overlay thing I have to

A) Select which video files I want to put the gauges on, which is determined by

B) Which segments of the flying leg I'm interested in, then

C) Create the overlay for that which generates another video file which then has to be synched in the NLE. AND

D) In order to create the overlay, you have to have a video file loaded into DW that is the correct length anyway, then create a special gauge with a chroma key background to mask out the video footage.

On top of all that, my NLE (Power Director) is a bit sloppy with the chroma keying and in any case, using chroma keying restricts the color choices I can use in my custom gauges.

tl;dr Too hard!