Where to start?

Hello!

New to the forum here and have a few questions about starting to fly. So I’m in the United States, California. I’m 15, about to turn 16 in March. I would like to get a basic flying license. However, I don’t know what classes I need to take or where to begin to get my license. Could you guys give me some tips about where to start ?

Thank you!

Your local airstrip is generally a good starting point or any airstrip in towns you may travel through.

Talk to anyone you find hanging around hangars there. Offer to help do odd jobs in return for flying favours. If you are willing to sweep hangars or wash planes you may be lucky enough to find someone who is able to help fund your lessons and on top of that they will have the most practical knowledge of the best way to progress through the system.

Some people will turn you down but keep at it, it will be worth it.

Get hooked and you won't have money for anything else. Maths, Physics and a bit of Psychology, and a bit of mucking around with engines helps at the lower level as a knowledgebase/ foundation. Then study theory of flight , navigation and meteorology. read older training manuals to get an idea of the basics earlier on. by the mid 30's they had a fair grip on things. .UNDERSTAND why things do what they do. That makes flying life easier. Perhaps start with a bit of gliding. Nev

• 1 month later...
+1 on asking your local flying school

+2 on that. They'll be the ones teaching you, so they're best placed to tell you where to start.LOL, where you'll start will be in a cockpit on a Trial Instruction Flight. Then you'll have an idea if flying is really for you.

Good luck, never give up.