Building Savannah S Amphibious in Greece

Yiannis Air

Hello to all Savanistas...........

I am building an Hydro Savy S. My project is 70% done as an ULM configuration. This is my third Savy. I build the first one back at 2003 The second was an Hydro Savannah that I bought it from a friend. So as you can understand I am "Savanoplictos" That means someone problematic with Savannah......

So as an Hydro aircraft let's start from protection of salt water (as much we can protect !!!) all parts has been treated individual with Alodine and has been painted by epoxy prime. Some of the parts mostly at the belly of fuselage has been coated after prime with polyurethane paints.

Instrument configuration will be apart from standard instrument with.

Garmin 496 GPS

Dynon D10A EFIS with AP74

Samsung Tab 2 9" permanent installed on panel

TALOS EFIS for Android

Easy Map for Android

And at the end. I have installed 6 cameras at permanently configuration also. Five of them Sony action cam with live view and one Samsung 360 installed at top of the rudder. Some of my videos you can see at youtube searching as "YiannisAir"

I Will use a Kiev propeller and Galaxy GRS parachute.

In regard parachute I will create another forum to discuss. I believe is the most important from all the above. I am the survivor 172 (If I remember correct) of 376 at BRS........

Yiannis

• Like 4

Hi Yiannis, I am slowly building my first Savannah S here in New Zealand. I have found a huge amount of valuable information on this site, also people to answer my questions. I have also found 'Search Forums' at the top of the page very useful.

There will be many Savannah owners and builders here interested in your build, and especially the modifications and improvements you are making.

Can you again post details of your instrument panel here?

Thanks.

OK let's start from the idea. I thing that the Savannah S panel is really ugly... I believe the reason is because of throttle rods and the bottom of the panel is a part of fuselage structure.

I needed lot more of switches and breakers from those that the kit provide. Also I added some additional instruments and all of those needed extra space

So I divide the panel at 6 separate panels. Two main for instruments, one central for big tablet and the Garmin 469 under the hood, two panel for switches and breakers and one small at the bottom of central panel for cameras live view, intercom plugs and three gimbals control (at one axis only).

In additional, my plan was the tablet to look like part of the panel and not something that was add last moment additional. In order to do that I move all the new panel 15mm ahead of main frame. The main frame is that the ICP provide and I added the tablet behind my new panel. With this arrangement I added more strength at all panel frame. plus an square rod 200 mm behind the panel assisting on this. I am using this square rod also as a cable trice. I remove a lot of metal from existing frame and I was filed uncomfortable.

In order all of those to be happen I needed a total new panel design. I started to work on CAD program (I learned the Rhino 5 just for this....) and I added at my work shop a 3d printer.

I did a lot of experiment for how I will arrange all of those without losing the strength that the original frame giving to fuselage.

So the final cutout from main frame was as per photo 1 and the additional frame designed from me is at the photo 2. At photo 3 you can see how are the 6 instrument panels.

I know the questions will be a lot. I will try to answer all of them and off course it will be my pleasure to assist anyone that he like to make something similar.

I hope my English to be OK and understandable.

Yiannis

957057788_Photo1.jpg.0b48359429689711ae5dceb35897de1c.jpg

2045741963_Photo2.jpg.8a3dda62e941526c1e727056cf2ab50b.jpg

2112487445_Photo3.jpg.17df848d1fc65157d0e4983ba8948fb5.jpg

• Like 2

I am using the INOX that are coming with kit. At my first Savannah I had problems with rubber tubes. I had modified all the fuel system. The funny is that the Savannah S has the same system as my modification. The first Savannah was without vent line at reserve. So to fly above the sea with red warning light on was not so good..... I believe that the friction at rubber tube is bigger than the INOX. Some friends here in Greece they don't use them. They prefer rubber tubes. I will fly with INOX for test and if I face problem I will change.

What is your opinion? Or have you hear something that is not good?

IMG-1d9b1ccad57c69ffb9a68b1b5a2b4934-V.jpg.163aaf5b9084c466b5be2a2c2b626b04.jpg

• Like 1

I am surprised you like the inox tube fuel lines. I rather find it difficult to handle them. The double the number of conections. Also I don't like the muddled up diameters.... Connector on one side 6mm the other side 10mm and in betwen 9mm inox tube...

How did you solve this?

I am using the INOX that are coming with kit. At my first Savannah I had problems with rubber tubes. I had modified all the fuel system. The funny is that the Savannah S has the same system as my modification. The first Savannah was without vent line at reserve. So to fly above the sea with red warning light on was not so good..... I believe that the friction at rubber tube is bigger than the INOX. Some friends here in Greece they don't use them. They prefer rubber tubes. I will fly with INOX for test and if I face problem I will change.What is your opinion? Or have you hear something that is not good?

Yiannis, sorry, I should have been more specific: I was referring to the fuel lines from the wing tanks.

I have 4 tanks, and must decide whether to use the 'corrugated' steel lines supplied (is this Inox?) or go to high grade auto fuel hose before closing up my wings for painting

I know the auto fuel hose is popular in Australia (where there are many Savannahs). I am not familiar with the steel hose, we are surprised it seems so thin and light. Also, as Major Tom says, it doubles the number of connections at some points.

• 3 months later...

Good day to all Savanistas

Sorry for delay to update you for my project but my free time is so short and is impossible to follow you. For the time been my panel is almost done and I am very happy for the results. Very soon my bird will be at Runway....

I am posting my panel and soon I will add some more photos from my control stick and AP Servo Installation.

20180609_120033.jpg.b7ee063327bddbc276b2f1e7f74d2448.jpg

20180610_120416.jpg.feb69d72f8512db6de39ec7709958f03.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Yiannis, what sort of floats are you using, sorry if you mentioned it already but I just scanned you posts quickly and got excited as I love amphibian aircraft and I am a fan of savannahs !

Cheers Ross.

The floats that I will use are at below link. Is Italian product.www.scuolaitalianavolo.it

Thanks Yiannis, keep telling about your progress, very interested. I'm currently doing my float endorsement on a Cessna 182 with straight floats, was flying last week and will finish today hopefully, it is a lot of fun.

Good day to all SavanistasSorry for delay to update you for my project but my free time is so short and is impossible to follow you. For the time been my panel is almost done and I am very happy for the results. Very soon my bird will be at Runway....

I am posting my panel and soon I will add some more photos from my control stick and AP Servo Installation.

[ATTACH=full]60892[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]60893[/ATTACH]

That's a pretty fancy looking panel!!

• 4 weeks later...